PDA

View Full Version : any recomendations for making my own website?

Rachael's stars
19-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi im currently waiting for my pre reg but would like to have a website once in registered so would idealy like to start building it now so its ready for when i need it.
What website providers do you use and is there any i should avoid?
Im a bit lost as where to start this as there seems so many advetised but which one to pick?
Any ideas would be fab ... thanks rachael xx

MessybutHappy
19-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I did mine through google sites, I found it tricky to start, but have sussed it now. The help pages are quite helpful. It's been easy to link it to a domain name I bought which was important to me!

Rolacolapink
19-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi I did mine through Vistaprint, took me a few hours to do as i wanted more than 1 page building within it but looks good and only costs £3.98 per month. Only downside is the address contains vpweb.co.uk which is a bit difficult to remember however i havent had a problem with it. you can pay more for just .co.uk. also if you buy through a topcashback you get £5 back - bargain! i should be on commission ha ha :laughing: I also have a facebook page and invited all my contacts to it from my personal page. i'd recommend doing both. :)

jadavi
19-01-2013, 11:31 PM
I started off with vistaprint too but then discovered webs.com. Free and nice and simple. Dies the job beautifully.

thills
20-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Hi im currently waiting for my pre reg but would like to have a website once in registered so would idealy like to start building it now so its ready for when i need it.
What website providers do you use and is there any i should avoid?
Im a bit lost as where to start this as there seems so many advetised but which one to pick?
Any ideas would be fab ... thanks rachael xx

I have done my with weebly.com very easy to use and looks great :) and free!!

Rachael's stars
20-01-2013, 12:59 AM
I started off with vistaprint too but then discovered webs.com. Free and nice and simple. Dies the job beautifully.

Thank you iv looked this up and your right really simple to use and completely free. Cant wait to get building it now, me amd my little boys have been busy all day taking pictures of toys and all the snow so will have plenty to upload along with our pictures from days out.... exciting times... just wish i was working now..

Thanks everyone for your replys x

jadavi
20-01-2013, 07:46 AM
So glad to pass it on... Got it from this forum too a year ago! They offer upgrade to premium every so often but I've never never needed to. I have a blog and newsletter too plus a photo gallery. Unlimited pages and an index/contents page.

Rick
20-01-2013, 10:03 AM
I use Moonfruit. Similar to Weebly it is free and easy to use (just need to go through the video tutorials). When I was looking into doing a website I thought I was going to have to pay for one and maybe get someone to do it for me but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was!

jillplum
20-01-2013, 12:24 PM
This is something I am keen to do also. How do potential clients find your website? Does it come up on search engines?

shortstuff
20-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I have to say i used a local small business to create and host my website. If you would like to do this im more than happy for you to look at my site and i will also pass on the companies details. Just pm me x

Rick
20-01-2013, 01:20 PM
This is something I am keen to do also. How do potential clients find your website? Does it come up on search engines?

Put your web address on any advertising, such as business cards or post office ads etc. I've put it on any website I advertise on, such as childcare.co.uk. So far I have had 1800 hits in 4 months so something must be working.

A brill way to get noticed is Google Places. Not only does your business come up on google maps but also if anyone searches for 'childminder', google knows where you live and if the searcher lives in the same place, your name, number, web address etc comes up on the first page of results. I've also found that if anyone types in Rick's Childminding I fill up the search page as I have advertised on many websites.

Hope this helps :D

manjay
20-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I use weebly too and love it. I have had several sites since I started. The first I used a website design company to do but I found I needed more control as I like changing things often. The next was through Microsoft which I liked the best but they decided to withdraw the free version!

I find mine most useful as an information point for potential clients. If anyone approaches me about my service I point them in the direction of my website. that way they can see exactly how I work and decide if they want to visit or not. I am the only one of the 3 minders in our village to have a website which means I have the edge when people are moving here from out of the area as I am the only one that can be found. I have had two really good families find me this way recently.

lizduncan72
20-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I use webs.com too-very easy to use and more importantly free!!

jillplum
20-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Hmm I think I need to look into this. I have nev advertised as such. All my work comes from FIS or word of mouth so I dont know if it would be beneficial to me. I am pretty much full too.

Rick
20-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Hmm I think I need to look into this. I have nev advertised as such. All my work comes from FIS or word of mouth so I dont know if it would be beneficial to me. I am pretty much full too.

My advice is do a free website. It does take a little while to learn how to use it but once it's done it's done, aside from minor tweaking here and there. The only difference between a free and paid version of Moonfruit, which I use, is a limit on number of photos and pages (up to 15 pages and 5 photos is enough for me). My website address is on every advert (most of those free too) so people can have an informal look at your setting and can generate interest before thy decide to contact you.

I've never had anything from the FIS so that may be a crucial difference. You also never know when your mindees may leave, it could all be at the same time! :thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
20-01-2013, 06:05 PM
i use Mr Site...

But Pauline on here does websites...they are beautiful and good value

have a word with her...

wibble xxxx

kelz_wilko
28-01-2013, 11:50 AM
my husband does websites as a hobby so he has done mine for me, quite lucky really. I bought my domain name through 1&1 as can check what domain names are available and they give you examples if you put in key words

gud luck xx