PDA

View Full Version : 1st Tax return - only expenses, no income.

biscuits
18-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi,
I'm just doing my online tax return to get it in by the end of the month. I am filling it in for last year however I was still registering to become a childminder so i only have expenses to claim ie training courses for first aid etc, mileage, doctors fee, ofsted fee and don't think there's that much more as I still haven't taken on any children.

I have probably made quite a few phonecalls, can i make an estimated guess on these and put in maybe a few pounds for these? Is there anything else anyone put in their first year whilst they were qualifying.

Also, on reading a document I found it talks about NI contributions and how you need to inform the HMRC asap so you can start paying these. As I wasn't fully qualified I didn't make any income (and still haven't) and was told I do not actually have to inform the HMRC about anything until I actually start working - is this right? just want to make sure I shouldn't have been paying contributions last year when I was just training and that I'm now going to be told I owe them money when I didn't make anything.

Any clarification would be great.
Thanks in advance. :)

Shamai
19-01-2013, 09:23 AM
I think it would be best to call HMRC directly to get clarification or you may find some answers on their website. If you're doing your first online tax return and haven't had any income I am not sure you will be able to submit it. Sorry I've not been much help but just submitted my first one online for April 2011 to April 2012 so I am not an expert!! Good luck x

dette
19-01-2013, 11:38 AM
i was in this possition a couple of years ago and i was advised that i couldnt put expences on my tax return without an income,the adviser described it as calling yourself a photographer and buying loads of equipment but not getting paid to take photos so not actually a photographer.she said this was to avoid people trying to claim large reductions from a second job.i had spent alot of money on training and transport to training in march and had no income for that year as i was returning to mnding after maternity leave.in the long run it made no difference as i didnt earn alot the following year and wouldnt have paid tax,i dont know alot about this subject and theres nothing to say that the advice i got was right so i hope someone comes along with better advice x

migimoo
19-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I wonder if you can carry over these expenses to next years accounts as start up expenses? although they're not day to day expenses it's money you've had to spend before registering.Hopefully Mr A will be along soon.

Don't forget to include the cost of any work to your house or garden needed to pass inspection/safety equipment bought/folders and stationery,etc

I wouldn't worry too much about the NI...even if it turns out that you should have paid last year then when you register for this year you can pay more then which is what I did...it's only about £65 I think (i'm still q new to this too)

MrAnchovy
19-01-2013, 12:13 PM
You have not actually started trading yet so you should enter all zeros on your tax return - in fact there was no need to register to fill in a tax return (unless you have other non-employment income), but now you have registered you MUST complete it by the due date otherwise you will get an automatic penalty.

You don't need to pay Class 2 contributions until your income exceeds £5,595 (2012/13), but these do give credit towards the basic state pension (you may get this anyway with Child Benefit for a child under 12) and qualify you for certain benefits, particularly Maternity Allowance.

biscuits
19-01-2013, 11:54 PM
You have not actually started trading yet so you should enter all zeros on your tax return - in fact there was no need to register to fill in a tax return (unless you have other non-employment income), but now you have registered you MUST complete it by the due date otherwise you will get an automatic penalty.

You don't need to pay Class 2 contributions until your income exceeds £5,595 (2012/13), but these do give credit towards the basic state pension (you may get this anyway with Child Benefit for a child under 12) and qualify you for certain benefits, particularly Maternity Allowance.

Thanks all for the replies and indeed Mr Anchovy. I have to fill in a tax return as I have a property I let out as I moved out of my flat and rent it out so fill one in anyway so just thought i better start doing one for childminding although haven't actually had any income. So, as I haven't started earning yet do you know if I can just hold on to my expenses from last year and use them for my 2012-2013 tax return where I will (hope to) have found work and started trading?

Thanks again in advance.

MrAnchovy
20-01-2013, 02:40 PM
So, as I haven't started earning yet do you know if I can just hold on to my expenses from last year and use them for my 2012-2013 tax return where I will (hope to) have found work and started trading?

Yes, pre-trading expenses should be claimed as if they were incurred on the first day of trading.

biscuits
20-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes, pre-trading expenses should be claimed as if they were incurred on the first day of trading.

Thanks very much Mr Anchovy!