PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really down

TNT
18-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I only look after 2 children at the moment, sisters who i have had for just over 2 years now. The youngest starts school in september and mum told me today that she is looking to change her hours in september so she will only need me to have them for 1 hour each morning, the school run. They will be 7 and 4 so take up 2 of my under 8's places.
I cant justify having 2 children for 1 hour a day taking up places as I have 3 of my own children under 8 so I am going to have to give notice which makes me so sad. I really dont want to as these were my first ever mindees and they feel like a part of the family.
:(

VeggieSausage
18-01-2013, 02:59 PM
You don't need to give notice until you have something else....also when the lo becomes 8 that will free up a place - are you going to have 6 at that time of the day anyway?....I have 2 that are dropped after the school run....

lilac_dragon
18-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Don't give notice til you get enquiries to cover that place. Once the older 1 is over 8yrs you'll be able to take another one in that place.
Have you tried asking your Primary school if they'll let you put up a card advertising you have vacancies?
Mine's let me, and their Nursery class have a card for me permanently on their board.
We also have a free board at our Town Hall and a few of our local shops - all free.

TNT
18-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I dont intend to give notice until everything is definate and I have other children to cover spaces but everything was going so well, was just covering my bills which is what i needed and now I cant see me being able to keep them on in september as they are not 8 until march and my own son in july. If I get an enquiry that pays more I guess I will have to take it.

blue bear
18-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Things always seem to have a way of working out in this job, try. It to panic, fingers crossed new little ones come along and they all fit in together.

TNT
18-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I am just really sad that I may have to give notice to my first lovely family and it is nobodys 'fault' just circumstances.
The joys of being self employed I guess.

hectors house
18-01-2013, 05:02 PM
The mum has chosen to change her hours from September to suit her, her children and her finances - she didn't factor you into this equation at all - so don't feel guilty if you have to give notice. I hope you still see this family but I also hope someone else comes along soon who wants a whole days space.

TNT
18-01-2013, 05:24 PM
The mum has chosen to change her hours from September to suit her, her children and her finances - she didn't factor you into this equation at all - so don't feel guilty if you have to give notice. I hope you still see this family but I also hope someone else comes along soon who wants a whole days space.

That is very true, I need to toughen up a bit. :thumbsup:

TAZ
18-01-2013, 05:32 PM
You may find new mindees who want to start their day with you after the school run, I've had many of these over the years, often those with an older sibling at the school and we do a handover at the school. Works out well all round. That way you get to keep on your long term mindees and yet fill your hours & get the finances required.:)

Also a lot of childminders charge more than their normal hourly rate if it is for just 1hr a day

Hope all works out perfectly :)