PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone & Social media completley banned??

LJC
18-01-2013, 07:16 AM
I read in this months Practical Pre School that all mobile phones are banned within a childcare setting and should be turned off prior to entry including visitors and children should not be discussed on social media sites. I haven't read this anywhere:panic:

I have read that we need to have a mobile phone policy (in place) and that confidential info is not shared (of course it isn't) but I do take photos during the day on my mobile some of which are posted on my business facebook page (only with parents permission) and I certainly don't tell anyone coming in to turn their phones off. The parents who are happy for photos to go on facebook have realatives all over the uk and want them to see the photos and have links with me (grandparents). The facebook page is only for current parents and once a child leaves parents are blocked from seeing anything as is anyone else who isn't a friend.

Not sure where to go with this info from the magazine. What do others do??

sarah707
18-01-2013, 07:49 AM
The article (I assume you are referring to page 8) has been written by someone who is making suggestions for what they believe should happen in early years settings to protect children.

The author is not saying mobile phones are banned - but that in her opinion - they must be banned.

Childminders need mobile phones - they are the numbers most of us give as emergency contact for parents and it is a requirement of the EYFS that parents are given an emergency number.

Mobile phones are also essential on outings and should form part of your safeguarding strategy.

I hope this clarifies :D

Do you like the 'spring festivals' planning suggestions on pages 10 and 11 of the Child Care insert? :jump for joy:

blue bear
18-01-2013, 07:50 AM
After what happeneded at little teds in Plymouth some counties took the decision to ban mobiles, others have left the decision to each provider.
I would expect most pre schools and nursery settings would naturally ban personal oblige phone usage, it's not necessary they will have nursery owned cameras and a nursery phone including a nursery one they take with them on trips etc.

Childminders are slightly different we need a mobile to enable us to go out which is fairly frequent. Our la say it's up to us if we want to take photos on our mobiles, we should have a mobile phone policy or at least have it written into the safe guarding policy what we do with mobiles and what we allow others to do with mobiles regarding our mindees. Talk to your la and ask for guidance.
I don't put photos on social networks myself so have no idea about that side.

QualityCare
18-01-2013, 07:58 AM
We are not allowed to use mobiles or cameras in our childrens centres, we can have our phones on us but they musn't be seen, our DO brings a camera and printer with us and takes photos for us which are printed there and then deleted.

jackie 7
18-01-2013, 08:47 AM
I worked in several nurseries and schools before setting up as a c m. In most I had to put my handbag with phone switched off In the office. We were not allowed phones in the setting. This was before Plymouth. It is different for cms. I don't used phone for photos.