PDA

View Full Version : Strange one I can't work out!!!

lauraatbristol
17-01-2013, 07:29 PM
My friends asked me for some advice and I'm baffled so thought id ask on here! Basically she childminds in Birmingham (countryside!). She got left a house in a will which she is childminding from and she is using the whole property. There is a granny annex on the property she is considering using for childminding. It is attached to the property by one internal door but has its own entrance and separate secure garden. It's fairly big and she was looking to de register the rest of her house and childmind from just the annex. Basically she is single and looking for company on week nights so was looking to rent out a couple of rooms in the main house on a Monday to Friday basis. She has had lots of enquiries from people but only short term tenancies (3 months ish). So her question was, does she need people renting out rooms on a short term basis to be crb checked? The people renting rooms with have no contact with the children as it will be a separate building and she can lock the internal doors between the 2. Would she need planning permission? And would it still be classed as childcare on a domestic premises, ie. childminding, as she doesn't want a nursery and just wants to keep the small number of children she has!!! If anyone can offer any advice then please do!!!
Thank you!

sarah707
17-01-2013, 07:44 PM
You should always check with Ofsted about DBS (formerly known as CRB) checks :D

lauraatbristol
17-01-2013, 08:15 PM
I will tell her to check but if there's a lot of professionals staying over she didn't know if she'd have to keep getting them as crb checks I've had done have taken 12 weeks! But also I think it would be classed as childcare on a non domestic as noone would live in the annex! Think she's worried about asking for 10 or so crbs a year (if all people just stay for a few weeks!) and if ofsted would say there's too many people going in and out of the property??!!