PDA

View Full Version : preschool run in the snow

twheeler29
17-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I have a mindee that i do a preschool run for at 11.45am tomorrow. I am not happy to drive in the snow, for my own safety and the other children in my care. Any ideas as to what to say to parents??? Thanks.

lilac_dragon
17-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Most parents would appreciate that you're putting the children's safety first.
I've explained to mine that it's not safe for me to do this and asked that they make alternative arrangements. They have come up with a number of solutions, 1 is being collected by a friend and delivered to my door (bit like Tesco's!)
The other is being collected by parent taking early lunch and then brought up to me after they've hadlunch together.

ziggy
17-01-2013, 03:45 PM
i always tell parents that I wont do playgroup run if roads are icy. A 19month old was killed in an accident here this week so parents understand my concerns.

If there is no one else to bring child to you then could parent drop child to yours instead of going to pre-school?

TAZ
17-01-2013, 04:14 PM
If the roads are bad pre-school may well be closed anyway as leaders may not be able to get in and they,like you,will not want to put children at risk.

wendywu
17-01-2013, 04:35 PM
One day missing pre-school wont affect mindees chances of getting into uni, so i would just keep mindee at home for the day :thumbsup:

blue bear
17-01-2013, 05:06 PM
My adverse weather policy is:
It will be up to my discretion whether it is safe enough to do pre school or school runs and reserve the right to keep the children home or collect the early if I feel normal collection would put any of the children at risk.

All my parents agree with this and appreciate I put the children first it's me that's got to care and entertain them all if they don't go so I don't make the decision lightly.

twheeler29
17-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Have just spoken to dad and he was really understanding, said he will drop to me in the morning and stay with me all day. Thanks

20-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Out of interest would you have to give a refund if u chose not to collect from preschool cause of the weather???

AliceK
20-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Out of interest would you have to give a refund if u chose not to collect from preschool cause of the weather???

I would say yes as the service they are paying for you are not providing.

xxx

bunyip
20-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Almost certainly, yes. Unless you have it specified in the contract and/or a water-tight (snow-tight?:rolleyes:) policy. Technically, you'd be in breach of contract and might possibly even be liable for any additional costs the parent might incur. It's certainly worth being very apologetic and nice, so they don't even think of going down the legal route. :(

20-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Don't know what to do for the best?!?! My road is like an ice rink but the main roads are pretty clear. I also have the nightmare of the double buggy once I get there too as its quite a walk from the car park to the actual preschool. Plus where do we stand if we have an accident driving in these conditions whilst we have minders in the car?!?! Really don't know what to do :(

little chickee
20-01-2013, 07:50 PM

I wouldnt give a refund. I am open and able to provide care for the child i am just unable to collect.
I have it in my policies that i am normally able to drop off and collect pre-schoolers but if i am unable to do so for any reason the onus is on the parent to make sure the child arrives with me. Same for after school mindees.

FussyElmo
20-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I would refund if I couldnt pick up. I would however be offering to have the child instead of dropping them to at preschool :thumbsup:

wellybelly
20-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Start as you mean to go on, think about future weather conditions like black ice etc. I don't have a car and walk with my mindees, so a situation like this would be extremely dangerous that I wouldn't put myself in, my own children or any other children in my care.

nikki thomson
20-01-2013, 09:49 PM
It is a difficult one but our road and the ones out onto main road haven't been gritted the snow has now compacted and so is like a skating rink, but once you get past that your fine and I went out in the car today as I needed to do a Tesco big shop, our schools are open tomorrow and I have to drive as its in the next village it's just about taking our time no sudden braking etc.
I don't like driving in the snow but tbh I really couldn't justify saying no for that short distance in the car as its then clear and I know the 2 school children I haves parents would not be impressed at all, and my 3 are going if its 10ft snow,lol. Friday when it was a blizzard yes but not now just got to get on with it.
The problem is people don't know how to drive properly in the snow, drive to fast and no thought for other drivers. X

SYLVIA
20-01-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't feel that children getting to pre school is important enough to risk their and your safety. School is slightly different but I would not put others at risk to get them there or back. I explain this to parents when discussing policies and haven't had a problem yet. In fact they are all very understanding and helpful by getting friends to take or collect and drop off to me