PDA

View Full Version : What to do - birthdays

JCrakers
17-01-2013, 01:05 PM
When I started minding 5.5yrs ago I had a handful of mindees so I was able to buy Xmas pressies and birthday pressies for all. Now I have 16 and spent about £5 on each for Xmas.
I found it pretty stressful buying them as the little ones had age appropriate pressies and i wanted to get the older ones something they wouldn't just throw to one side and I also didn't want to just get them a selection box. So I trawled the shops many times and ended up finding Lego books in whsmiths that were buy 1 get 1 free. :)

Now the new year has started and birthdays are popping up I've decided (because of the expense and and also I don't have time to shop working so many hours) that I will just give cards for birthdays.

But my mindee turns 4 next week and is having a party next Friday so I'm taking two mindees along. I can't decide if I should get a pressie or not because I'm going to feel a bit mean if I turn up without one.
But she has two older brothers (my first ever mindees 5 yrs ago) who will then wonder where their presents are on their birthday and all the school children know each other so if I then buy the brothers one I probably have to get the others one too so I'll end buying presents for all.

Would you go along to the party with just a card having bought presents for the family for the past 5yrs??? Plus they always get me something for my birthday and also for my two children...eek.

FussyElmo
17-01-2013, 01:21 PM
I would probably buy a present :thumbsup:

jillplum
17-01-2013, 02:08 PM
I have a lot of mindees too. At xmas I buy gifts for all for about £4 to £5 each and I buy a small £2 ish gift for siblings as I dont like the idea of one child in the family getting a present and not the other! For birthdays I buy a gift for each mindee only. I look for good deals in eg Home Bargains/ pound shops etc and buy in bulk when things are on sale. TK Maxx is usually very good for books toys clothes etc so I always check the clearance shelves in there.

QualityCare
17-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Could you make a 'rule' that you will buy gifts for under 5 and cards only for older children, when you say siblings do you mean you mind them as well if not l wouldn't be buying for them anyway.

JCrakers
17-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Yes they are siblings that I mind and have done for 5.5yrs :) they are 7 and 8yrs.

Thanks for your help

busybee_mummy
17-01-2013, 02:47 PM
All my mindees are part time and we have 23 on the books (2 childminders and an assistant). We decided to stop present buying and now we have a birthday tea on the day closest to birthday, all children contribute to making a card and we play some games. I then make a photo book type thing for them with pictures from party.

But maybe as your attending the party as a guest I'd take a present this time.