PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing enough (planning, obs etc)

MrsP2C
16-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I finally feel like I've got to grips with my EYFS paperwork & into a good routine but having a wobble that I'm missing something crucial or have got it horribly wrong!! This is what I do:

Planning is just a single page for the year showing topic by month plus key dates, celebrations, bdays
Each month i then break down the topic identifying ways to develop different areas of learning (just doing feb for example topic is 'feelings' expanded to include people we love, our emotions, what makes us happy/sad, the senses etc and activities inc valentines card making, tasting game, make a 'how are you feeling' chart, playdoh faces, stories: monkey puzzle/hug/giraffes can't dance.

I don't do weekly planning as I only have 2 children (1 baby) 2 days a week - does it matter?

For each child:
Regularly take photos & stick them in their LJ with a comment about what's going on, link to specific area(s) of learning & then add next steps. These range from a short sentence to longer narratives but are mainly like today's ob (3 yr old playing pirate ships questioned whether it would float) we put it in the sink with water & confirmed it did float until you fill it with water then it sinks. Linked to CLL & Maths then added next steps as expand floating/sinking concept by introducing different objects to water, make own boats from different materials etc

Each term I sent home the LJ along with a 1 page 'Record of Achievement' with an overview of the 7 areas of learning with next steps & invite parent feedback / comments.

This is it!!! Is this enough & am I even getting it right? I'm expecting a call from MrsO any day soon as I was registered in September so partly for her benefit want everything in order, but I also need to get into a good routine now I haven't got many mindees or I'll struggle when I get busier.

If you got this far, thank you & any comments or feedback most welcome :)

christine e
17-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Sounds good to me and is pretty much the same as I am doing:thumbsup:

mrs robbie williams
17-01-2013, 07:02 AM
sounds good to me - the only thing i would say is i did yealy plan then broke it down into monthly with activities etc as you have done and when my do came she said why these topics? where does it relate to eyfs so i told her, she then looked at a lj and said (eg one of my topics is birds and activity ismaking fat balls) - why she says where did you get this from ie what was the previous obs to then lead you to birds :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic: well i didnt know :blush: felt like a right wally lol

the way she said to do it is get eyfs dm and for each section where they are at
then look at the next one down on the list for each area
that is what you are looking for
then plan to do that
the outcome
next steps will be the next one on the list

to me that is fine if you have one in the eyfs but if you have three all at different stages it soon becomes a nightmare :cool:

sarah707
17-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Where did you get the activity?? Well it depends on the child and their age.

An activity like making fat balls - little ones are fascinated by watching birds in the garden... you thought it might be a good idea to expand on their interest.

Older children - well you need to keep introducing them to new ideas or they are never going to learn!!

It's all well and good following interests but that can only take you so far. At some point children need to learn about the world around them and find out about new things :D

Samcat
17-01-2013, 09:49 AM
sounds good to me - the only thing i would say is i did yealy plan then broke it down into monthly with activities etc as you have done and when my do came she said why these topics? where does it relate to eyfs so i told her, she then looked at a lj and said (eg one of my topics is birds and activity ismaking fat balls) - why she says where did you get this from ie what was the previous obs to then lead you to birds :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic: well i didnt know :blush: felt like a right wally lol

birds, fatballs - explanation - RSPB Big Bird Watch!
schools 21 Jan - 1 Feb, main Bird Watch 26-27 Jan
They even have resources for an EY birdwatch on their site.
We're doing bird related things for the next couple of weeks, culminating in a very simplified Birdwatch because my LOs love watching the wildlife on the feeders in the garden. We've even tried walking around and pretending to feed like a pigeon!

MrsP2C
17-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Thank you very helpful to hear I'm not going totally off piste!!! I thought the point of a topic was to introduce new ideas & help broaden a child's interests & knowledge. Obviously you're not going to stick rigidly to the theme & nothing else for the entire month so Obs that follow the child's interest will surely evolve & occur alongside & in conjunction with any monthly topic. Or so I thought :huh:

lucyD
17-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Where did you get the activity?? Well it depends on the child and their age.

An activity like making fat balls - little ones are fascinated by watching birds in the garden... you thought it might be a good idea to expand on their interest.

Older children - well you need to keep introducing them to new ideas or they are never going to learn!!

It's all well and good following interests but that can only take you so far. At some point children need to learn about the world around them and find out about new things :D

I agree, I was a bit worried about this too. I have always been told by my DO same thing, just follow interests & expand, which I do do BUT you still need to introduce new concepts, ideas etc as if they haven't come accross it before how can they know if they are interested in it or not! I think as long as you record why you are doing what you are doing & justify it (sounds crazy I know!) whats wrong with JUST FUN !! i.e introducing new challenge/ideas then Ofsted should be happy

OR have I got it totally wrong!? Also due my 2nd visit soon so hope not lol