PDA

View Full Version : Beware possible scam

shortstuff
16-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi,

I wanted to let you guys know about a possible scam.

I received a phone call claiming to be someone from the ncma. He knew I was a member of the ncma and checked I knew all of the benefits I receive. He then went on to say if I renew my membership now he would give me a £4 per month discount, approx 50%! He wanted my bank details to sort out the dd. The trouble is my current membership doesn't expire until November. When I questioned the guy on this he said 'you see don't worry even if you change your mind by then you can cancel'. He then went on to ask if I needed to order any stationary. This was when the alarm bells rang a little louder as I only placed an order Thursday. He is going to ring back over the next couple of days but can't ring in the mornings as he doesn't work until the afternoon.

I have contacted the ncma directly and they are looking into whether this was a genuine call but wanted to put the warning out just in case. I raised it with my coordinator, who in turn raised it with her superior. It has since gone to head of membership, so they are looking in to this one quite well.

My details might have been obtained by my website but who knows, time will tell. As soon as I hear anything I will add it to this post. I hope I will be proved wrong and I can get such a generous discount but I think that might just be too good to be true.

JoRo163
16-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I had the same call a while ago, and I was concerned it was a scam too. I guessed most of the info he had about me could have been obtained online, and I'd only just taken out my membership! I told him I'd think about it, he hassled me for an exact time to call me back - and never did.

I'd be very wary about just giving my bank details to anyone who I haven't called directly.

I would be interested to know if this was genuine tho!

TAZ
16-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

baobab
16-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I had the exact same phone call about 2 weeks ago. He confirmed all my details and then asked if I wanted to buy any stationary. I was about to reach for my payment card when I thought that it could be a scam. I said to him I would rather order on line as I wanted to look at what was available. So glad I did now!

shortstuff
16-01-2013, 09:59 PM
No worries. As i said i just hope im wrong

miffy
16-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Hi,

I have contacted the ncma directly and they are looking into whether this was a genuine call but wanted to put the warning out just in case. I raised it with my coordinator, who in turn raised it with her superior. It has since gone to head of membership, so they are looking in to this one quite well.

I find it very strange that NCMA didn't know whether or not they are offering 50% off their membership!

Miffy xx

shortstuff
16-01-2013, 11:23 PM
I agree Miffy, thats why i thought i would have had a response by now x i emailed my original query monday but it wasnt picked up till this morning x

harleyrider
16-01-2013, 11:25 PM
I will be interested to hear how this pans out. I do hope if it is a scam nobody falls victim.

lilac_dragon
17-01-2013, 07:29 AM
I had this call last night!!!!!!!!

They asked for my bank details, but I said I'd do it online as I was busy, and it's not due until end of this month anyway.
the girl said she could take the bank details but not activate it until the due date, at this point one of my toddlers needed the potty so I said I had to go.

It somehow felt wrong as I've never had them do it this way before, so was debating whether to ring them or not, - definitely will now!

lilac_dragon
17-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone just spoken to NCMA and they say Yes it WAS them.

They evidently started this mid last year, I've suggested to them that it might be a good idea to let us know that!
I've also told them I'll post it on here to hopefully reassure everyone.

shortstuff
17-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks lilac_dragon.

They have now confirmed that yes it is genuine. Sorry for the false alarm.

It turns out that not all departments of the ncma know about this deal as i was told earlier it was a scam. When i mentioned what lilac_dragon had said they checked some more and discovered that it is a genuine offer.

twheeler29
17-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for letting us know

miffy
17-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks lilac_dragon.

They have now confirmed that yes it is genuine. Sorry for the false alarm.

It turns out that not all departments of the ncma know about this deal as i was told earlier it was a scam. When i mentioned what lilac_dragon had said they checked some more and discovered that it is a genuine offer.

Do you have the name of the person who confirmed it is genuine.

I think I need to ask NCMA to offer me the same deal!

Miffy xx

shortstuff
17-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Its been confirmed by the customer services manager and would appear to be for cm's in their first year. Yay me im one of the lucky ones x.

I am more than happy to say i was wrong and my suspicious mind let me down on this occaision.

I hope lots of us can enjoy this offer x

ChocolateChip
17-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Its been confirmed by the customer services manager and would appear to be for cm's in their first year. Yay me im one of the lucky ones x.

I am more than happy to say i was wrong and my suspicious mind let me down on this occaision.

I hope lots of us can enjoy this offer x

Better to be safe than sorry though, I would have been suspicious aswell!

shortstuff
17-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks ChocolateChip

chezzagriff
10-02-2013, 08:48 PM
They should email you with your reference number and stuff rather than a random phone call as most people would be suspicious.