PDA

View Full Version : Accredited Childminder

Katy M
16-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I am interested in becoming an accredited childminder.

I am unsure about what is involved. Another childminder told me that you have loads of training and have to pay for it. I would like to be able to offer funded places but if it involves a lot more paperwork, stress and time I'm not sure I can face it!

Are you accredited? If so could you give me a bit more info and let me know if you think it is worth doing.

Thank you.
:laughing:

hectors house
16-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I have my development officer coming out next week to discuss what is needed to be able to deliver the 2 and 3 year old funding and then if I want to take it further I have to see someone else from the County Council. I was just told you had to have had a "good" ofsted inspection and a level 3 childcare / minding qualification - if I have to pay for training I won't do it then!

I'm in Somerset I expect it changes depending on where you live and whether there is a need for it in your area, will be watching this thread and see what the verdict is.

blue bear
16-01-2013, 05:48 PM
What area are you in, you are more likely to get an accurate idea from people in your area.

JCrakers
16-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Different councils have different criteria. :) I became accredited in sept and had to have :

Good or above
Level 3 quals
An inspection from the EY team which gave me a rating
A business plan
A short 3 hr course about how to track progress

But other councils ask for different things

harleyrider
16-01-2013, 06:24 PM
As others have said, all L.A's have different sets of criteria. Speak with your D.O or contact your Early years team to see whats expected. Good luck.

moggy
16-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Yes, the only advise that really counts is from your own local authority as they are all different. Also, most importantly, check what they pay you for a gov funded place- here it is well below the average hourly rate so no financial point in doing it, sadly.

Katy M
16-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I am in North Yorkshire.

I have a 'Good' grading. Level 3 qualification. And have been registered longer than a year (6 Years now!)

I will ring my families information service to enquire further.

I will post after I have found out more...

Thanks everyone.