PDA

View Full Version : Payment if suspended

lauren1979
16-01-2013, 04:40 PM
this is a hypothetical question based on a conversation I had with a friend, but it did make me wonder what people do/have done in this situation.

If you get suspended by Ofsted do you still want payment from parents? What about those who pay in advance - would you refund?

I would assume you would not be paid/pay back any money but as my friend pointed out that would leave you well out of pocket perhaps with no due cause/fault of your own if a complaint has been maliciously made, although obviously the parents would be stuck too and unwilling to pay for care they cannot receive.

Don't think there is anything about this in my contracts - I use MM. Does anyone have a policy etc?

Thanks...something to consider I guess.

FussyElmo
16-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I dont see how you can charge if you are suspended. We provide a service if we are stopped from providing that service then how do we charge.

Not sure what you would put in a policy I certainly dont have one - not sure I would want to give parents a policy on is I was suspended they might think I had done something and was preparing for the worse :thumbsup:

littlecheeks
16-01-2013, 04:50 PM
this is a hypothetical question based on a conversation I had with a friend, but it did make me wonder what people do/have done in this situation.

If you get suspended by Ofsted do you still want payment from parents? What about those who pay in advance - would you refund?

I would assume you would not be paid/pay back any money but as my friend pointed out that would leave you well out of pocket perhaps with no due cause/fault of your own if a complaint has been maliciously made, although obviously the parents would be stuck too and unwilling to pay for care they cannot receive.

Don't think there is anything about this in my contracts - I use MM. Does anyone have a policy etc?

Thanks...something to consider I guess.

personally i would not charge as i was unable to offer care for them. it would not be the fault of the parents (or at least not all of them) so i would not charge and refund any advance payments that had been made. its one of them things you would have to take the hit with i supoose even if it was not you fault. i dont think ofsted would suspend your registration though unless it was quite serious complaint?

interesting to add into payment policy though! someone has been doing lots of thinking today! x

sarah707
16-01-2013, 06:29 PM
When you are suspended there is a strict set of rules about what you can /cannot do.

Mostly though it just stops you from working from your home - you can, for example, still work for parents out of their houses.

Your first step should be to take legal advice - which you can do while speaking to Ofsted if you feel things aren't right during the interview. You can also write down what is being said so you can refer to your notes later... etc.

As part of the legal advice, you should ask about payments (advance and current) to make sure your insurance company will support you in case of future claims by parents.

Hope this never happens to you x