PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea

helenprock
16-01-2013, 04:25 PM
So my lady sent in her son with diarrhea about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I made it clear (I sent him back) that I cannot look after children with diarrhea beaucse I have my own children and I mind other children and its unacceptable.

So today. LO had diarrhea. I thought it must have just come on today. So at handover - I mention to the au pair (yes they have an aupair) that LO has had diarrhea. Au pair wasnt surprised and said he had had it for a few days.....

IM NOT HAPPY.

Any advice? Im so new to this and so confused. I feel trust has gone now.

hectors house
16-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Send a newsletter out reminding parents of your sickness policy and made it clear that if they are selfish enough to send their child when they are ill so the parents can still go to work, that when you get it and have to close for 2 or more days (depending on how many members of your own family get it) that those parents will have to take time off work anyway - so they may as well stay home with their own poorly children and probably be entitled to paid compassionate leave!

bunyip
16-01-2013, 06:00 PM
At the very least, I hope the parents and au pair now know the lo is excluded until 48 hours after their last episode of S&D.

Personally, I'd directly address the parents concerned and also put it in writing. I'd consider it a gross breach of trust and an utterly selfish act which threatens to shut down my entire business.:angry: I'd put them on a final warning and say if it happens again then I shall give immediate notice. I'd be tempted to close for 48 hours and say, "now look what you forced me to do." But I'd be cautious about the effect that might have on the other parents who use my service.

I understand why a lot of CMs would do this as a newsletter to address the issue to all parents. I just don't work that way. If a child is acting in a selfish, bullying or dangerous manner, I speak to that child. I deal the same way with selfish, bullying dangerous parents who put my business, well-being and children's welfare at risk.

helenprock
16-01-2013, 06:30 PM
I only work 2 days a week (Ive only been running for a few months).
So I had him Tues and Wed with unknowlingly with diarrhea and now it will all be cleared up by the time she sends him to me again.
I made it SO CLEAR 2 months ago that it wasnt ok. And its happened again.
I emailed her asking if au pair was correct and she said she didnt know. But if it were to happen again - Im to send him home.
Im still annoyed because I dont want him in the house if they already know he has diarrhea!???

Gah!

LauraS
16-01-2013, 06:30 PM
^ what bunyip said. Some people are too thick skinned to think that a general message in a newsletter applies to them. Hell, your parents don't even think the rules apply when you've said it to their face.

You think they'd have a tad more sense with norovirus or whatever it is doing the rounds

izzy23
16-01-2013, 06:49 PM
When this happens (as it has happened to me quite a few times) I speak directly and immediately to the parents and give them a written letter restating all I have said and highlighting AGAIN the terms of my D&V policy, don't put it in a newsletter, its likely to go over their heads, THEY NEED TO KNOW and they need to know asap, not days or weeks down the line. This particular issue drives me bonkers. :angry:

bunyip
17-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Out of curiosity, how old the child? :confused:

helenprock
18-01-2013, 04:49 PM
He will be two next month!

bunyip
18-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I was just curious as to how only the au pair knew about the diarrhoea if the lo is in nappies. Do mum and dad never change him?

Also, how reliable is the au pair? IIUC you have him Tuesday and Wednesday, but it sounds like you found he was OK Tuesday and only had the diarrhoea on Wednesday, yes? Then the au pair says he's had it for "a few days." :confused:

I'd be worried that the au pair is either misreporting an acute medical condition or has a communication problem, neither of which will serve the little chap well. :(

TAZ
18-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Are you sure it was a s&d bug rather than just loose stool due to something like teething? I ask this as if it's a bug and he's had it a few days then surely you would have noticed on the Tuesday due to his constantly dirty nappies, probably off food & acting differently than his normal (tierd, clingy whingy).

helenprock
18-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I havent a clue. Didnt know anything before and havent heard anything since.
Its really annoying.
His nappy was pure faceal fluid. No substance at all.
Nothing the day before but I only have him from 9am till 3pm so he could have just been lucky??