PDA

View Full Version : Cancellations due to snow- who pays?

jadavi
16-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Do you lose money if a parent texts at 7am to say she can't get to you due to snow?
Is it in your contract?
Doesn't seem fair really but I'm sure my teacher (paid by the hour not contract) expects me to waive me fee ... My contract was the Ncma one, dint think it was in there.....

mrs robbie williams
16-01-2013, 07:06 AM
ooooooooooooh you have snow???? we have rain :( sorry back to your q i always say if im open i charge :thumbsup:

Lilylulu
16-01-2013, 07:07 AM
if you are still open its payment as usual.

funemnx
16-01-2013, 07:09 AM
I would expect the parents to still pay - at the very least pay half. After all, you are open for business, it is them that can't get to you!

You would not be surprised to hear the lengths some parents have gone to, to get their children to the childminder in severe weather - only to spend the day at home themselves, purely because they have to pay! :eek:

Daisy De
16-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Same here, if I'm open I charge.

We don't get heavy snow in Wiltshire very much but when we do I'm always amazed how many mindees get here lol :)

Dragonfly
16-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Charge if you are open.

cuddlybunny38
16-01-2013, 07:17 AM
I would of thought she would be paid as its not her fault she cant get to school so if her employer didnt pay her she wouldnt like it so it is the same for you, she should pay for the place, she would if it was a nursery or other childcare setting xx

Tink
16-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I honestly think that parents don't think childminding is a job:angry:

Ok so they don't turn up and expect it to be free. How about when they do turn up we turn around and say sorry im full today! I don't think they would be too impressed.

To answer your question if you are open they pay :thumbsup:

silvermist
16-01-2013, 07:35 AM
If Im open they pay x

TooEarlyForGin?
16-01-2013, 07:43 AM
ooooooooooooh you have snow???? we have rain :( sorry back to your q i always say if im open i charge :thumbsup:

I sent out an extreme weather police stating the above, I will only not charge if the weather affected me (no heating, water pipes froze), otherwise charges are as normal.

I find some parents are more confident at driving in poor weather or have 4 wheel drives, so can't waive it for those that don't.

sandy64
16-01-2013, 07:44 AM
if youre open full pay if school is closed and lo is at school they would expect you to have lo all day without asking :)

Rick
16-01-2013, 07:46 AM
I'd probably still charge. Good question though! :D

lilac_dragon
16-01-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm unable to get to our school in the afternoons as the baby's buggy won't go through the snow and can't get a grip on the ice, so obviously not just exhausting trying to pretend I'm a snow plough, but also dangerous. Also have 2x2yr olds who walk everywhere but would be hanging on for dear life to try and stay upright.

Babys not here in the mornings so I'm able to take schoolies in OK, so I charge. If parents can't get here to drop them in, I charge.

I'm unable to offer my afternoon school pickup service due to above reasons re buggy so don't charge. BUT, I tell the parents that if they have a friend who can get the children to me, I'm happy to take over from when they come through my door.

wendywu
16-01-2013, 08:11 AM
I am open so normal pay. :thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
16-01-2013, 08:21 AM
My basic rule for any absence is that if I am open they still pay, if I can't offer my service for any reason then they don't.
I also have an extreme weather policy and have stated that I won't drive/ go on school runs (walking) if I feel conditions could be dangerous for anyone in the setting, so like lilac dragon I might drop the school run or ask parents if someone else can bring them, in which case I would adjust my fees.
I generally send out a reminder in my newsletter if snow might be on the cards ;)

angeldelight
16-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Same here

If I'm open I charge

Been a while since we had any decent snow though so have not had any real problems yet

Angel xx

loocyloo
16-01-2013, 08:29 AM
if i am open then i charge and like others , if i can't do something and have to cancel, then i don't charge, BUT i do have to do the school run to pick up my own DD !!!

and if i ended up having to ask some to walk her home for me, i know schoolies mum would be happy for that.

jelly15
16-01-2013, 08:37 AM
I charge if I am open, regardless of the weather. I had a problem with a parent a few years ago, she didn't want to pay as she said my road was not gritted ( short private road) I asked her what was wrong with parking at the end of the road and walking up? She paid.

FussyElmo
16-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I charge if I am open, regardless of the weather. I had a problem with a parent a few years ago, she didn't want to pay as she said my road was not gritted ( short private road) I asked her what was wrong with parking at the end of the road and walking up? She paid.

My mindees mum did this yesterday :thumbsup:

If I was actually snowed in and the parents couldnt get to me then I wouldnt charge however I have lived here for most of my life and it hasnt happened yet :D

I also guaranteed I will do the school run as I have to fetch mine :thumbsup:

emma04
16-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I offer a 20% discout if parents truly cannot attend, but it is clearly stipulated in my policy that the discount is at my discretion and will not be given for a vehicle breakdown, just for road blockages!!

The Juggler
16-01-2013, 01:57 PM
i am open friday so if they don't come to my house, they will be charged. However, I am NOT doing the school run if snow is bad and will tell my schoolies parents that in advance - if snow is on pavements I will not be able to do school run (already have a dodgy shoulder and I don't have big wheeled buggy).

nikkiv
16-01-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm the same as pp and charge as I am open at the weekend I reviewed and updated and emailed out my bad weather policy so that everyone is aware! I will also remind parents in my next newsletter which will go out in the next 2-3 weeks!

Ripeberry
16-01-2013, 02:22 PM
All my parents pay in advance so I don't really get that problem. I just say no refunds due to adverse weather if my setting is open :thumbsup:

ziggy
16-01-2013, 02:25 PM
I explain to parents that if i'm closed due to my holidays or sickness i dont charge at all.

If i'm open i will charge full fee for contracted days/hours. Half fee is charged for holidays if 4 weeks notice is given.

So unless it's a booked holiday all days/hours are to be paid in full. I mention this at the end of my monthly newsletter EVERY month, so there cant be any misunderstanding. I've never had any parents complain yet