PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to extend activites with 18mnth thst just holds into EVERYTHING !

tori4
15-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Im looking for some ideas/ suggestions how to extend activities for mindee who is nearly 18mths but all he does is carry stuff I've looked into Schemas n can't see how it matches any as he is not 'transporting' nothing in bag/car/ pushchair etc he just holds lots of things in his hands/arms n goes round trying to pick more things up??

Play dough just holds onto ALL of the dough/ tools
Colouring just holds onto all other crayons
Sml world just holds onto everything
Even the new shakers we made least week we now struggle to actually shake as he just holds onto all 6 bottles :-0 !

if he is not holding / picking things up they r in his mouth.

i tried a bit of 'posting' the other day which he did join in with but wasn't to bothered just carried on holding everything and picking everything up the other LO had just posted.

Also as a side thing no vocab - apart from the odd 'errrrr' and point but it is just a 'errr'. Errrrr for drink Errrr for toy Errr for food Errrrr for mummy ( at door) Oh and just looks at me in shock/horror when I sing ;-) my other LO puts his hand over his ears... i might start getting a complex ;-)

Any ideas would b gr8 XT

sarah707
15-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Suggest he pops the things he is carrying in a bag so he can use his hands for other things... could you choose a bag or basket with him perhaps?

Then slowly move him onto toys the other children don't need to play their games :laughing:

You might look at containment schema - I think he might be containing things in his arms...

He'll grow out of it :D

Kiddleywinks
15-01-2013, 08:18 PM
You might look at containment schema - I think he might be containing things in his arms...

He'll grow out of it :D

Oooo, I think I might have a containment schema - I keep trying to keep hold of my money, unfortunately the bank keeps posting it to other people :laughing:

MessybutHappy
15-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Oooo, I think I might have a containment schema - I keep trying to keep hold of my money, unfortunately the bank keeps posting it to other people :laughing:

I'm on my phone so can't hit the like button! But boy did I need this tonight, I'm never going to forget about containment schema ever again, that's brilliant!!! sorry to the op, nothing helpful to add except to make sure they don't "hold" in shops...my ds went through that...why do they think it's ok to put eggs on a toddler height shelf!!!