PDA

View Full Version : Dd destroys all her art and craft work

Minstrel
15-01-2013, 09:56 AM
I know it's not a mindee but I do all the same things with her and just want some advice.

She is 2.4years and everything she draws, makes, paints, builds she like to destroy it after whether it's rip it up or tear it etc.

I realise this is a normal part of development, much the same as knocking over a tower of bricks but I would like her to have some pride of her work and show daddy things etc. I usually get a quick photo but most of what she does ends up in the bin ( by her).

Any ideas on her next steps?? :)

singingcactus
15-01-2013, 10:21 AM
I think she'll just age out of that, but in the meantime maybe you could get her to do some larger, more permanent art. My son (a wee bit older) has just helped me paint sunshine and flowers on my lounge and kitchen windows. He painted the garden fences and sged in rainbow stripes. He made clay faces for the garden fence (although they are on my window ledge now). We have bought a plastic white shower curtain and some permament markers and we intend to create bunting for the garden out of it.
Maybe if you can find some large art, that has a real function and purpose, she will be happier about not creating it to death.
Maybe. Lol.

Or do you have one of those plastic pocket wall art display things, that you can ask her to fill? If she can hang her own work she just might do it...maybe.

blue bear
15-01-2013, 10:43 AM
I had a mindee who did this, mums friend was a psychologist, he said to let her work through it, give her her own bin, always have scissors readily available, it was all part of her work and that I should proudly display her cut up efforts as that was what she wanted to do, it soon stopped after that.

lynncjt
15-01-2013, 11:09 AM
I have 2 that like to cut or tear their work after they make it, so I give them some coloured paper and glue and they stick it back on, can look very good - modern art!

loocyloo
15-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I have 2 that like to cut or tear their work after they make it, so I give them some coloured paper and glue and they stick it back on, can look very good - modern art!

we do this too! another mindee likes to put all the little bits in a bag to take home for mummy!

RainbowDrops
15-01-2013, 02:58 PM
We just class it as part of the art and tbh but before it gets destroyed we always take a pic and every couple of years get a photobooks made of artwork, means we don't have to keep all of it too x

TAZ
15-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Try to do several pictures and then hide one before it gets torn up

on the poseritive side at least you don't have mountains of artwork / creations that you cannot get rid of either because you're sentimentally attached to it or your LO wants to keep it ALL and remembers every bit of artwork created!!!!:rolleyes:

Minstrel
16-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions I will give then a go.

It's just such a shame because she is very creative!