PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training

Shamai
14-01-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a 28mo mindee whose Mum is convinced he is ready for potty training as his nappies are dry most mornings when he wakes up. She said she has been potty training him over Christmas and he is doing really well. All last week and today I am having to put him on the potty every half hour, sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. He isn't telling me when he wants to go, says "wee wee" only after he's done it in his clothes. I personally do not think he is ready as he is showing no interest and is having 3 or 4 accidents per day - on my carpet, on my rug, on my sofa :panic: This is the second time Mum has asked me to help with potty training and after 3 weeks I advised that I didn't think he was ready and that maybe try again in a couple of months. There is quite a bit of upheaval in his little life at the moment - moving house, parents separating etc. and I feel its just bad timing. I don't want Mum to think I'm being unreasonable or unhelpful, any advice please? xx

silvermist
14-01-2013, 09:52 PM
What a nightmare for you. Potty training is such a hard nut to crack isnt it. My dd was about 2yrs when I tried to train her to use the potty. Well the result was wee everywhere so I decided to leave it til she was ready. Two months later dd started asking for the potty, I decided not to go out anywhere for the week, it was half term so my boys were at home too, and by the end of that week she was totally dry day and night! I really do believe in waiting for the child to be ready rather than when we think theyre ready. xx

Shamai
14-01-2013, 10:07 PM
My DD was 2.5yo when she said she didn't want a nappy anymore and another 3yo mindee used to tell me "my bladder is full" :laughing: I do believe in not rushing them. Was thinking of asking Mum if she could get some training pants for him - she doesn't want to use pull ups - but not sure if that will help or hinder him! I really don't want to give up but have got the other children to consider as well as my home :(

silvermist
14-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I think pull ups are fab! Why doesnt Mum want to use them? x

Tinkerbell1979
14-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Ummmm, I used to love pull ups and used them with DS1 and DS2 BUT DD just uses them as a nappy so I had to risk it, 3 weeks in we probably have 1 accident every other day. Can see why mum doesn't want to use them but it doesn't help you or your other mindee's

little chickee
14-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I too am a fan of pull ups. I know a lot of folk don't like them but i think they are a good first step especially for a child who isn't quite grasping the concept!
Much prefer a pull up to puddles!

Loushah
14-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I spent the whole of my Xmas break trying to potty train ds1 and he was doing great then first day back childminding he decided that he didn't want to use a potty or toilet as other 2 year old was still in a nappy and when I would ask him do you need wee wee he would shout no and do a wee in his pants there and then out of protest...safe to say I had no choice but to put him back in a nappy

mrs robbie williams
15-01-2013, 06:53 AM
mum says mindee 27m is ready aswell - still has full nappies and shows no interest in potty with me, mentioned this to mum who said oh no she wont go unless naked so i dont mind you stripping her off then she'll go :panic::panic: well that wont restrict me and other mindees in any way will it !!!! i do not strip her, the potty is there but she has no interest infact the only use it gets is when mindee 18m uses it as a hat :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

lynncjt
15-01-2013, 07:55 AM
I had Mum try with mindee 28 months last Nov, she only tried over weekend and on Monday I kept trying the potty with no success but then stood in the playroom and it flooded everywhere, even with trainer pants..... Mum was understanding when I said I didn't think he had any idea and for health and hygiene reasons I could not continue like that.

Mum tried again over XMAS and he is now dry but back in trainer pants as he still has accidents with poos

Daisy De
15-01-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm a great believer in not adhering to peer or family pressure and training too early. Unless the child is showing definite signs of being ready I don't even think of potty training until they are nearing 3 and advise/encourage my parents to do the same. I have seen so many children traumatised by potty training too early, hiding away to poo, getting distressed when they wee themselves when they have no idea whats going on, holding in wees and poos leading to infections and constipation.

Potty training can be literally overnight if the child is ready, they can and will do it themselves if its all kept stress free and calm, they take their lead from the older ones wanting to copy them and if there has always been a potty around and they see you and the others using a toilet it will just become part of growing up rather than a huge deal some parents make of it.

My opinion of course :)

Shamai
15-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I think pull ups are fab! Why doesnt Mum want to use them? x

She says she doesn't like them :rolleyes: I had to put one on him yesterday tho as he had gone through the spare clothes. Mum also gives him a chocolate each time he uses the loo which I'm not doing - so the poor little lamb is probably so confused! I'm going to try stickers on a chart today but he just seems so young to even understand that concept. Wish me luck :)

TAZ
15-01-2013, 09:33 AM
She says she doesn't like them :rolleyes: I had to put one on him yesterday tho as he had gone through the spare clothes. Mum also gives him a chocolate each time he uses the loo which I'm not doing - so the poor little lamb is probably so confused! I'm going to try stickers on a chart today but he just seems so young to even understand that concept. Wish me luck :)

If chocolate reward is working for Mum then why not go with this? It doesn't have to be a huge amount (1 chocolate button) I'm sure most 28month olds can understand 'if I do a wee in there I get a chocolate!'

Shamai
15-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Chocolate reward is given for just for sitting on potty for Mum. I also don't think it's fair on other children who will also be expecting a chocolate after each visit!