PDA

View Full Version : First aid box

Kevin1964
14-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Do you buy one ready made say from St johns Ambulance or do you make one yourself so to speak

bunyip
14-01-2013, 11:17 AM
I bought a ready-made one and instantly regretted it. A lot of the sterile stuff went out of date very quickly and it would've been cheaper to buy individual items. More importantly, I found it better to build my own list of what's appropriate for the use I'll put it to.

I find I need more smaller dressings. Large ones are fine for adults, but children often just need a small eye pad on a wound instead. Steri-strips and saline tubes are useful too, but never seem to come in ready-made kits.
:)

QualityCare
14-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I buy mine individually as well, it does go out of date and bandages go in the dressing up box for a while, l have never used anything from it for minded children.

k1rstie
14-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Before I renew my first aid certificate , I always check my box. I am always shocked at the dates on the bits! It seems the only items I ever use are plasters (and usually use pretty ones for the kids) and safety pins. Either for NCTM sales or for daughter when she plays sports!!

It always makes me think that someone is making money!!

JCrakers
14-01-2013, 01:19 PM
It's a lot of wastage isn't it. I bought a full kit when I started minding and had to throw more or less all of it away. I bought another one and I've not used 1 thing out of it...it just sits on the shelf gathering dust.

Which I suppose is a good thing as I've never used it

LauraS
14-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I bought two, a little cheap Asda one with very little in it, and a heyooge 20man one from Arco. I split the contents between the two so have one for home, and a little one for going out.

Haven't had a.problem with dates, the contents all have til end of 2015 on (kit bought may 12)

Have seperate plaster.box.which is.the only.thing I've used.this far

nikki thomson
14-01-2013, 01:58 PM
I got mine from NCMA years ago, have to say its still in the wrapper in the cupboard never used it, have a box of plasters with butterfly's and monkeys on in the cupboard I use when they've cut themselfs which were 99p from tescos and that's it. X

LauraS
14-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I got mine from NCMA years ago, have to say its still in the wrapper in the cupboard never used it, have a box of plasters with butterfly's and monkeys on in the cupboard I use when they've cut themselfs which were 99p from tescos and that's it. X

Have you.checked.that its not out of date? :)

nikki thomson
14-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Have you.checked.that its not out of date? :)

Yes, although I've never really understood how a bandage can go out of date but there you go. X

blue bear
14-01-2013, 08:05 PM
I buy complete set refills off e bay, much cheaper than buying Individual bits and cheaper than buying a new complete set.