PDA

View Full Version : questions for minders with assistants

ziggy
14-01-2013, 09:54 AM
good morning

I have been asked to take a child in September plus one of ** mummies is pregnant, as well as an ex mum** looking to go back to work, so thankfully this year is looking quite good, work wise.

Anyway, a friend, who is also a childminder but gave up a year ago, suggested i take her on as an assistant.

Questions that have come into mind are:

1. How much do most assistants get paid? (hoping she will work as self employed)

2. How do you decide who does what?

3. Can assistants do school run on their own?

Finally for those who have assistants or have had, would you recommend it?

Thanks

ziggy
14-01-2013, 09:54 AM
sorry dont know why post came out like that!!!!!!!

smurfette
14-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Apparently the forum has decided that 'my' is a bad word today!!

Great you are looking busy, delighted for you! Haven't had an assistant but worked with a co minder,and it was a disaster, but i think maybe an assistant would be better as you are the boss and can tell her what to do, rather than feeling you are equal and she should work on her own initiative and then resenting it if she doesnt, which was my issue. She then didn't take direction, and I ended up feeling like I was nagging which was horrible! Think long and hard,I am better off moneywise and in my own head emotionally on my own, but that isn't the case with everyone, but just make sure it is worth it for you! I would imagine if she is an assistant even if self employed you could decide who does what. Can't help with the other questions I am afraid, but good luck with it!

nikkiv
15-01-2013, 11:44 AM
My assistant is my friend but lives very close to me so she covers busier times for me on busier days which is good and then in the summer if we went on an outing for the day she would bring her daughter I would drive and pay for lunch and then pay for half of her hours! I did also pay for her training! Things aren't so hectic so don't use her as much but obviously helps that she is so flexible :)

helengreen13
16-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Hi,I have an Assistant who I have gone into partnership with who is currently in the process of becoming a childminder herself but we will always work together and then I have 4 others who are registered as Assistants and I use these as and when required. We run a monthly payrroll so the assistants get minimum wage and myself and my assistant who is in partnership with me split 50:50 as she is my sister. I ask the assistants to help me in every way so they really get to bond with the children, they write daily diaries, do observations, storytime, singing and dancing, food, nappies etc. All my assistants hold current paediatric first aid certificates so they can be left with one or two children for short periods so we can offer 1-1 sessions weekly for each child. It works great for us and I haven't had any problems.

oxfordshirecm
16-01-2013, 08:06 AM
I have an assistant who has been working with me for four months now. I advertised on gumtree and interviewed about 30 people as I wanted to make sure I could work with them and they would be suitable etc. My assistant is first aid trained so she can look after the children for a maximum of 2 hours a day which is perfect for the school run. She is self employed so if she doesn't work I do not pay her- so no sick pay or holiday pay- exactly same as me. I took on an assistant to help with school run so my dd did not have to be dragged out in the cold three times a day. I pay her £7 per hour and took on 2 extra children to cover this. So far it has worked wonderfully- the children love her- she gets involved in the paperwork, the activities, preparing lunch, clearing up- absolutely everything.

Not sure if I just struck it lucky with her- but for me it has certainly improved my job and has meant I get to spend quality time with my dd who is 20 months which was the reason why I started childminding in the first place.

LauraS
16-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm pondering this at the moment as I've had solid enquiries for another four full timers this week and last (am currently full from march)

I don't have after school kids so would only have six ey children, so planning not an issue. Ditto space. It would be.nice to have company and I think six children between two.adults in a lot of respects would.be less difficult that three and one adult.

I'm not sure whether it is worth it financially, though. The difference between the income brought in by three more children and the cost of paying the assistant is about £200/week around here but from that the expenses of food, resources. etc for the.extra children would have to be.deducted. Is.it worth it???