PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox

christine e
24-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi Guys
Just been out with my little ones for a picnic. The picnic spot is near a church and as we pulled into the car park I noticed some horses and a carriage so I said to the children oh it looks like there is a wedding because the carriage was white with lots of pink trimming but I soon realised my mistake and realised it was a funeral. I got talking to one or two people and was told that it was the funeral of a 14 month old girl who had died of chickenpox. I know there has been a thread recently about working or not working when children have chickenpox. I just thought I should share this with you as we should always remember that although most children get through this without too much of a problem this poor little mite didn't.

Cx

Twinkles
24-06-2008, 01:39 PM
That's so sad. My ds had a severe allergic reaction to chicken pox and was in hospital with it so I never take it lightly.

SimplyLucy
24-06-2008, 01:43 PM
My daughter spent 2 weeks in hospital when she had chicken pox, she was 15 months old.

She had cellulitis on her face and neck and contracted septicemia (sp?). She was on the high dependancy unit for a while and it was touch and go for a while until they managed to get a central line in and had some new antibiotic flown in from the States.

She was still very ill for a number of months after with shorter stays in hospital as the cellulitis flared up.

SonnysMummy
24-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh terrible:( My little boy is actually just now in the process of getting over chicken pox...if i'd have read this last week when he was really ill i would have been petrified. He's on the road to recovery now though...sleeping again and his appetite has returned. Still covered in spots though although they are nearly all scabbed over now. It was his first birthday last week too and he was really ill...bless him:( We had to cancel his little birthday party.
Although this is minor compared to this poor little girl passing away and both of your little ones experience with chicken pox...we will count ourselves as very lucky...

Blaze
24-06-2008, 02:20 PM
But for the grace of God....:(

Pipsqueak
24-06-2008, 02:50 PM
How sad:( . you just don't think that some of these illnesses can have such devasting effects in this day and age.

I think we have become complacent about (certain) illnesses - whether its a blind trust in our medical progression - we can get a pill or potion for this that and the other or because of vaccination many people do not know or understand the complications that can arise from "simple, normal" childhood illnesses.

kindredspirits
24-06-2008, 03:33 PM
oh goodness i didn't even know that was a possibility - so why on earth do we want all our LO's to get early????
i'll add that to my list of worries on top is his MMR jab in a fortnight!
its just so sad.

Pipsqueak
24-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Chickenpox and most childhood diseases are coped with just fine by the majority of children and most do not have complications.
But some people/children can develop complications for a variety of reasons - low immune system for instance.

Like many people do not realise the dangers of german measles and measles - because it has more or less been minamised/eradicated by vaccination and there is a whole generation who do not understand the seriousness of the illness.

miffy
24-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh that's so sad - it's not what you expect to happen at all is it?

miffy xx