PDA

View Full Version : need advice on variations

dette
13-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I've just had a phone call to arrange a new parent meeting next sunday.its for a full time 6 week old baby(not born yet ).its a young mam at college.theres a big shortage of childminders in this area and LO too young for a nursery .it will be after easter until end of term in july.i have a space on 4 of the days ..my problem is on a tuesday i already have 3 LO although one is only with me 9.30 until 2.30 so not on my school runs but this would take me to 4 under 5 for those 5 hours.would i be allowed to give myself a variation ,seeing as its only for such a short length of time,even though it is new business.the other thing is one of my existing LO wont turn 1 until june so i will have 2 under 1 ,which i know i can manage ..so this is the question ...2 variations required one of them for 2 babies under one ,needed for 6 weeks ,the second variation for 4 under 5 needed for 5 hrs on one day....i'm very experienced so i know i can physicaly deal with the children i just need advice on whether these variations would be allowed

moggy
13-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Reading 3.40 again in EYFS, it says about execptions ...'when caring for sibling babies or own baby'. It does not say 'unless it is just for a few overlapping hours' or for 'circumstance similar to having sibling babies or own baby'. So I am afraid it would be a no, unless you find an assistant. For once, the EYFS does seem clear in this! Maybe an opportunity to take on an assistant?

dette
14-01-2013, 01:32 PM
if both LO are in on different days and then one of them increases their days would that be allowed for continuity..

Tazmin68
14-01-2013, 02:32 PM
As you said it is for new business so the answer is no.

I am hearing a lot of minders who think that they can easily tweak it to 4 numbers for new business and it was raised again at a minders group I was at this morning where someone from ncma is the coordinator who again confirmed that it is exceptional circumstances including continuity of childcare for existing child or for a sibling of minded starting and must not be used for new business and it will result in inspection grading being lowered so I would not take the risk.

Tazmin68
14-01-2013, 02:44 PM
As you said it is for new business so the answer is no.

I am hearing a lot of minders who think that they can easily tweak it to 4 numbers for new business and it was raised again at a minders group I was at this morning where someone from ncma is the coordinator who again confirmed that it is exceptional circumstances including continuity of childcare for existing child or for a sibling of minded starting and must not be used for new business and it will result in inspection grading being lowered so I would not take the risk.

If you had two children all five days another child three days eg Monday, Wednesday and Friday another child ie tuesdays and thursdays and one of then wanted to increase then you can as it is continuity of child care. But then if like me i have two all five days and another Monday, wednesday and Friday and had another enquiry for example like i had for Tuesdays, wednesdays and Thursdays then the answer is no even though it would have only been for the hours 11.30-1.30 on a Wednesday as I have one arrive at 11.30 and another leave at 1.30. The bottom line is that it was new business so not allowed.