PDA

View Full Version : contracts

carlyr
13-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi, I currently use the ncma contracts and have a parent coming to see me in the morning to go threw and sign contracts. She wants before and after school and some of the school hols. She also only wants her son to do one day a week with me before and after school starting Feb and then to increase to three days from 1st may. When filling in the contract shall we write for the one day a week for now then add the other days on when she wants them in May or do it all from the start. Would be grateful of some advice please. Thanks in advance.:-)

bunyip
13-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Hmmm, thinks...

If you write in the full arrangement (i.e. including the care package provided from May) then remember it can still be changed by either of you giving the required notice (usually 4 weeks) for any change to the contract.

If you only write in the initial arrangement, then you can still agree to add the May changes: yes, you guessed it - 4 weeks before May (or less if mutually agreed.)

So what was the point of me saying that, you quite reasonably ask? Well, it boils down to an emphasis on what's important to you and the mum, and if that carries any additional value.

Is the May arrangement absolutely critical to the contract from Mum's point of view? If so, it probably should go on the contract from the start. BUT the consequence is that she expects you to keep the place available for her child February-May even if she's not using it. So you may wish to consider negotiating a February-May retainer fee. HOWEVER you should only look at a retainer if:_

1. It's not going to scupper the entire deal (some parents really don't get it, and only see it as paying a CM to "do nothing"); and:-
2. You are prepared for her to use the place (for a top-up fee) at any time whilst the retainer is in place (she's paying for you to hold the place, so you can't refuse her or fill it with another child.)
Hope that makes sense. :)

carlyr
13-01-2013, 06:59 PM
If I was to suggest the retainer how does this work? Is it same as a deposit? I'm thinking if mum pays me a retainer to secure the place until she needs it fully in may will I need to give he money back in may when he starts the three days? Also how much would I charge for a retainer? I normally charge 3.50ph for before and after school care.

bunyip
13-01-2013, 08:14 PM
If I was to suggest the retainer how does this work? Is it same as a deposit? I'm thinking if mum pays me a retainer to secure the place until she needs it fully in may will I need to give he money back in may when he starts the three days? Also how much would I charge for a retainer? I normally charge 3.50ph for before and after school care.

A deposit is a one-off sum which serves as a guarantee that mum will take up the place when the time comes. Normally, you'd keep it if she doesn't take the place, or return it once she does take the place. Nobody can really tell you what sum to ask for as a deposit. You need the sort of figure that will act as a serious deterrent to the mum letting you down at the last minute after you've turned down a dozen other clients cos you thought you were booked. OTOH, how many mums can find "silly money" and tie it down for a few months? It needs to be realistic from both parties' points of view.

A retainer is a regular payment made to you whilst you are holding the place for mummy's little angel to take up later. It's a sort of compensation cos you can't put another fee-paying child in that place. It's yours to keep, so long as you stick to your side of the bargain. And you must be open and have the space available throughout. The mum is paying you a fee to keep the space vacant, even though her lo isn't actually with you at the time. She should have the right to put the child into your care (with reasonable notice) on any day for which she's paid a retainer, so long as she tops up the fee to your usual charge.

Retainers are normally worked out as a %age of the regular fee. I don't know what figure is generally regarded as 'normal' and, in a way, that's not necessarily relevant. As with all things, you need an arrangement that both you and the client find acceptable. As with deposits, it can be tricky agreeing something that both sides feel is realistic.

Some people find that retainers work fine, others find they are problematic. The mum can feel it's unfair to be paying you to "do nothing" which, at one level is true. OTOH, the CM can come to resent taking a mere %age of their usual fee if they find they could've filled the place with a different full-fee-paying client in the meantime.

Whether you take a deposit or are paid a retainer, you'll need to make sure all the Ts&Cs covering them are covered in the contract. This is included in NCMA contract stationery.

Hope this helps. :)

carlyr
17-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Thankyou for all of your advice..i decided to go with the retainer option in the end :-)