PDA

View Full Version : daily diaries - do we have to?

hulahooper
12-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm now minding for a friend who's gone back to work, who in previous months have done odd bits of babysitting for.

When I babysat, I used to keep a diary type log of what little one had done on my phone amd then text/whatsapp it to her so that she had it in front of her when she needed it, for example why is little one not eating much tea - oh look in diary it said she ate a big lunch.

Whereas had I said it she would probably forget by the time tea time came round.

Does that make sense?! Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Sent from my LT26i using Childminding Forum

cathtee
12-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Out of my my 3 lo's I only do one diary that i send home this is due to Dad collecting and he hasn't the best track record for passing on
info as their older one went to day nursery and he always forgot to pass on things so I do one for them, but the other 2 I have a nice
chat with moms on collection and tell them whats what. But I do do a diary for them to what they do for me to do my learning jeornals
from if that makes sense

sarah707
13-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I have 3 with diaries on the go at the moment - I do them if the parents find them useful until the children can say what they have done during the day.

I find it a great way of sharing a few highlights of the day as well which I'd probably forget to mention in the rush to get coats on and leave.

I use an A5 ring bound book and just jot down the main points of the day - I don't usually write much. I ask parents to contribute too and if they tell me anything when they drop their child I write 'handover notes' so I don't forget what they have said.

Hth :D

Rick
13-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I always do a daily diary for each of my mindees. The parent of he sisters I mind loves to see what the children have done that day, what and how much they have eaten etc. Quite often she is in a rush on drop off and pick up so a diary keeps her up to date.

I had 2 viewings this week; one parent asked what information I provided because she wasn't too happy with mindee's nursery not providing anything. I showed her a diary and a learning journal and she thought they were great. I don't find it too onerous, I keep diaries on the table and add to it as things happen otherwise I will forget at the end of the day and will probably find I will run out if time to do it anyway.

Each to their own, if parents are happy and have time for a discussion at pick up then this is acceptable. :D

Rick
13-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I have 3 with diaries on the go at the moment - I do them if the parents find them useful until the children can say what they have done during the day.

I find it a great way of sharing a few highlights of the day as well which I'd probably forget to mention in the rush to get coats on and leave.

I use an A5 ring bound book and just jot down the main points of the day - I don't usually write much. I ask parents to contribute too and if they tell me anything when they drop their child I write 'handover notes' so I don't forget what they have said.

Hth :D

That's a good point. I still think I may continue with diaries even when children can tell parents what they have done as they don't always give an accurate account! Mindees are 1 and not quite 3. Viewings were for a 2 year old and 8 months so all are unable to let parents know what they did that day.

jax clinch
13-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I started doing diaries but parents weren't sending them back. I asked them if they still wanted to continue with them but none were that bothered. I make time at the end of the day or morning to talk and send texts if children do anything throughout the day. This seems to work for my 3 families.

mrstom
13-01-2013, 11:56 AM
I look after two LOs aged 15 and 16mths.

I've made A5 bound daily diaries with a pre-printed table detailing: what they've eaten, nappies (wet or dirty), when they have slept, what they've enjoyed doing today, comments from CM and a comments from home section.

One family use it every day and it's invaluable to pass messages back and forwards as I never know whether mum or dad will drop off or pick up (dad is useless at passing on info!). I also use it to ask for more nappies or to let them know I'm running short of wipes, that kind of thing. I have it out on the side in the kitchen and scribble in as I walk past (or remember something).

The other family have ditched my diary in favour of a plain hardbacked book that I'm expected to hand write in each day - mum wants something pretty to keep :rolleyes: It can be a bit of a faff TBH but I try and write a few sentences when LOs are playing nicely (or napping!)

Moira Mc
23-01-2013, 12:33 PM
I do a daily diary but thinking of stopping some of them but I wanted to make sure Ofsted hadn't made it a legal requirement

jackie 7
23-01-2013, 01:12 PM
I do daily diaries. Try to get parents to write in them. Great to show how you communicate with parents. I also put holiday dates and any thing else important in it. I now thanks to advice from the forum do own daily diary. My parents love the diaries.

manjay
23-01-2013, 01:28 PM
All my pre-school children have daily diaries. There are usually up to 8 children here after school everyday and it isn't fair on anyone if I stop to have a chat with parents. Yes they get a quick handover but everything else goes in the diary. I have only ever had them forgotten on a couple of days since I started minding. But I use sheets that stick in an A5 book so I still fill the sheets in and then stick them in the book the next day.

busybee_mummy
23-01-2013, 01:49 PM
We really liked doing daily diarys but as most are part time, they stopped coming back. I asked and all families said rather not have them as its one more thing to find in the morning!

Started with a 9 month this week fulltime and and did a lovely diary on Monday. I asked for it on Tuesday and mum said oh did you want it back!!!!

Think after reviewing it most of our parents prefer texts and emails of updates in day.

Eddisonsmum
23-01-2013, 09:20 PM
I've just re-vamped my diary and have given parents new one on Monday evening and already by Tuesday and today it was forgotton about. As an idea, as I want to use a diary as it records the childs mood and I have had issues recently with a parent where I did not record this each day. So, does anyone do a diary, talk about it with parent, but then leave the diary at the setting? I'm trying to think of ways I can keep the diary coming and no lost pieces of paper!

helena_j
23-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I do diaries luckily my two full time early years are my only minded children I have and they are both siblings so only do one diary. I do an A5 diary where I write what we have done what they have eaten etc. I find they work for us as mum drops off and dad picks up so written communication ensures an accurate account if dad forgets etc, also leave a space for parents comments. I am used to daily diaries from years of nannying lol and most families have enjoyed seeing them, I write them up as I go through the day.

TAZ
23-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I do daily diaries for all pre-schoolers, I work on the basis that once they're at school they are more independant and can tell parents what they've been doing.

I record food, sleeps, nappies, outings, activities, medicine, change in behaviour, interactions.

The diaries generally come back each day (occasionally 1 gets forgotten & I just write on a piece of paper which gets stuck in) I think parents generally check the diary then put it straight back in the child's bag. Rarely do any of the parents write anything in it themselves but then we use e-mail & texts as well.

wendywu
23-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I love my diaries and do one for all my pre-school children. Thats 5 at the moment. I put in funny photos most days so at least parents can see where their children have been and that they are in fact happy and having a good time.

I think its quite a selling point to encourage new parents. :D

loocyloo
23-01-2013, 09:48 PM
i've been writing daily ( or weekly ) diaries for over 25 yrs!!! i always did them as a nanny, and just carried on when i started childminding, and thats coming up for 10 yrs!

i am just in the habit of it, and i tend to do a quick scribble at snack time, again at lunch, and again at tea time! i use A5 ringbinders and put a new sheet in each day. i find it easier to have the sheets on the side , rather than a book, they are easy to take out & about with me, and if file is forgotten it can easily be put in! i have pages at teh back for parents to write notes - some parents write lots, other nothing. some just to tell me new phone number or something, another the ins & outs of the weekend! :D

i add photos and bits of artwork, fliers/brochures from places we have been and other random bits!

singingcactus
24-01-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't for any of my current kids, I am such a chatterbox these days there is little point. Plus I text and message my parents throughout the day with anything interesting, or even not interesting.
I do with some kids though. Just depends on the kids and the parents. But mostly, no.

Daisy De
24-01-2013, 08:39 AM
I do daily dairies for all my mindees, they are all under 5 plus one holiday only school age sibling. They are just left open on the side and I write down things as I go catching up snack and lunchtimes if necessary. I put all the usual stuff but if they say or do something funny I always write that down as well and they go home every night. Some parents comment, some don't and I would have to say I tend to write more in the dairies of the parents I know enjoy them and leave comments. Do have a couple of parents that never seem that interested but I still do them anyway.

To be honest I do them for the parents more than anything. I have two grown up children and I think it would be lovely to be able to look back through a dairy, see what my children did, said and also to see what I said at the time, you just don't remember a lot of the small but important or funny things that happened. Also I think the children themselves when grown up would find them amusing. Thats the main reason I do them, to look back on in the future. :)

mazza58
24-01-2013, 08:53 AM
I do daily diaries, in it it has a tick box for meals they have eaten, drinks, sleep, nappies etc, and then I write where we have been today, what the child has enjoyed playing with and then at the bottom is a bit for parents comments. I have had some lovely comments from parents as to what the children have been doing with me. One parent said she loved this diary and would cherish it and show the child when he was older, I thought that was lovely and I am pleased that we share information this way

Daisy De
24-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Just a quick add on to my earlier comment:-

One lo I have used to be in a nursery. Her mum said although she had no worries about the nursery care she never really knew what her child did or said whilst there. She said with me when she reads the diary each night and also of course our chats at handover, she feels she is as close to her child as she can be during the day because she knows what is happening. Think that is a good enough reason for me to carry on with the daily dairies. :)