PDA

View Full Version : 11 & 13 month old together - how do you cope?!

MrsP2C
12-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I've been approached by a family about having their 12 mth old & 5 yr old (wraparound only during term time) & assuming my current mindee doesn't leave when her mum starts ML in a few months, this would mean 1 day with 11mth & 13mth old babies plus a 3, 5 & 6 year old before school & picking up (my) 3 rd old at midday before the older 2 after school.
Am I mad to consider this & how do you cope with 2 babies? I only have 1 cot, 1 highchair etc so as much from a practical POV as anything.
Thanks!

CAZMCA
12-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi I currently have a 14mth old and my dd who is 10m and tbh I manage much better than with my 3 yr old mindee and dd as it is so much easier to do child led play with them both, I only have 1 high chair, but I got a booster for my dining table for mindee and we cope just fine x but I only have 2 children at a time at the moment x

Ambersmum
13-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi, just to clarify, would that be 11mth old, 13 mth old and two 3 year olds (one of which is your own)?

MrsP2C
13-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi, just to clarify, would that be 11mth old, 13 mth old and two 3 year olds (one of which is your own)?

No just my DS who is 3.5 so I'd have 2 under 3, 1 pre-school & 2 school age so fine for numbers just worried how I'll manage with 2 so small at once and with everyone during the holidays.

FussyElmo
13-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Its 2 little ones till you pick your ds up. I would say go for it - they are the same age so will be doing the same stuff. Yes it will hard work and did I read your post right its just for 1 day. If yes go for it :thumbsup:

VeggieSausage
13-01-2013, 08:33 AM
It is tiring but I think you find a good routine or being very organised. I think its good to have children the same age as they are good companions for each other but also you can plan activities that suit both of them easily as they are the same age. its not much different doing what you are doing for one to do it for 2 I don't think....

High chair from Ikea is about £15 and I its worth getting another travel cot if required I think....

wellybelly
13-01-2013, 08:42 AM
12 months old is my favourite age, there is so much you can do with them because everything is new and exciting! I've had 2 around that age before and other says I too found it easier.

Telabelle
13-01-2013, 09:31 AM
I read it as on 3 year old (your own), however if I'm wrong you would need to think about how you justify going to four children under 5.

I think it could work really well, as the two babies are so close in age you can have lots of fun with treasure baskets, sensory play etc...
Your main issues for caring for 2 babies are;
Equipment. Surely it would be worth buying a booster seat or second high chair, considering the extra income you will get. You will also need to double up on some toys as they reach 18 months or so and start taking things out of each others hands.
Getting out and about: If using a car, babies usually come with their own rear facing car seats for a while, which gives you time to aquire another 5 point harness seat. If you need the car for the nursery pick up, could you consider asking a friend (or a staff member?) to bring your 3 year old out to the car, so that you don't have to unload the babies each time.
When walking: Just use a double buggy, or a single one with a backpack or sling. 5 and 6 year olds can hold on at the sides of the buggy if necessary.
Mealtimes: Be organised! i would prepare meals before the children arrive, at least for the first couple of weeks. You will probably be able to prepare the after school meal during nap-times, but still,I would prepare something ahead of time just to begin with.
Good luck!

blue bear
13-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I love having two close in age and was sad when they changed the rules to only one under one. They are like twins and grow up together it's lovely. Yes they are hard work at feeding times and getting them into a routine for naps to match each other can be a bit of trial and error at first, but on a day to day basis it's so much easier as they are at similar ages for activities.
I have two high chair and two travel cots, get looking on your local free cycle for bits.