PDA

View Full Version : Four year old planning nursery hours.

jadavi
12-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Do any of you do formal sessions on pre reading skills, alphabet etc ? I have nine months till she starts school and wondered how much I should do. She is very capable and self motivated and busy but not particularly interested in letters and writing so far...

Zoomie
12-01-2013, 10:11 PM
In the 18 months before my DD started school, when I read to her (she loves stories) I would often sound out the letters/ sounds of the book's title.

I also bought the jolly phonics cd, which she loved to listen to and I know she learnt some of the sound there.

I played alphabet lotto with her, because she loved playing lotto type board games.

She hated this initially, but I put up a jolly phonics wall frieze in her bedroom. When she eventually stopped asking me to take it down she liked to look at the pictures and marry them up with the sounds she had heard from the jolly phonics cd.

I am not saying this is the way to go, but my DD was reading simple cvc type books in the summer holiday before she started school, so although I never sat down and said a is for apple, she did learn her letter sounds by incorporating them into things she did like.

One word of warning though, try to find out what reading method the school uses and then follow through from there.

jadavi
12-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks good idra

blue bear
13-01-2013, 07:25 AM
I have two three year olds who love looking for letter sounds in graffiti or other signs we see around town. It started off with the initial of their names and has moved on to letters of other people's names, they like to try and name as many letters in a word as the can, where appropriate thtertiary over the letters with their fingers.
It's just happened naturally and has come from them, it's a really fun game they enjoy. Occasionally they will pick out letters in books and they often asked to write on their name on picture they create.

I would check with the school which way they teach the alphabet, some use jolly phonics other don't and which style they teach the chi,dren to write as some start with print, some semi join up and some totally join up. There is no point teaching her one way only to find its not the same as school and in her mind it will be the wrong way and she has to start again.

sarah707
13-01-2013, 10:07 AM
We play games like Zoomie - but tbh schools aren't that bothered about whether children can read and write - they want them to be able to do the practical things like put on their shoes, wipe noses, toilet independently, zip up coats, say when they want a drink etc... those are far more important skills to work on with parents :D

jadavi
14-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks Sarah.
What is zoomie please?

sarah707
14-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks Sarah.
What is zoomie please?

The member who answered you in post 2 :laughing:

Has it been a long day? :D

hectors house
14-01-2013, 07:32 PM
The member who answered you in post 2 :laughing:

Has it been a long day? :D

I read it the same way as Jadiva and thought it was a computer game (sorry zommie)! Yes it has been a long day for me too - with 4 mindees- first day back after ski trip last week, will be first full week worked since before Xmas

jadavi
14-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Haha brilliant! Here's me googling zoomie :)

chriss
14-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Doh..me too...I think Sarah has invented a new game !!:p

Maza
14-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Me too! In my head I'd written it into next weeks planning already! x:laughing:

jadavi
14-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Haha yes was getting all excited! Let's invent one and call it zoomie!