PDA

View Full Version : How do you begin?

hannah1986
12-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi

Im new to all this and finding it so hard work :(

How do I begin with observations and planning? what should be done first? I have a rough idea of the activities i am going to do next week however not sure if I observe an activity or observe something else? Also do observations done on individual children go into their own folder? Really confused so any help would be much appreciated!

one of my activities is letting the children play in shaving foam (pretending it is snow) with different objects as our theme is winter. But where do I go from there?!?

Rick
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi

Im new to all this and finding it so hard work :(

How do I begin with observations and planning? what should be done first? I have a rough idea of the activities i am going to do next week however not sure if I observe an activity or observe something else? Also do observations done on individual children go into their own folder? Really confused so any help would be much appreciated!

one of my activities is letting the children play in shaving foam (pretending it is snow) with different objects as our theme is winter. But where do I go from there?!?

It will get easier!

You can do a certain amount of planning prior to the child starting as hopefully you will have an All About Me form from the parent. Your planning can incorporate your theme this month.

Your observations are normally made from the continuous provision toys you make available. You might spot a child interested in the animals. Take a photo and make an observation. Use this for their next steps which could involve setting up an activity involving animals. To keep in with your theme make it hibernating animals or something.

Yep the shaving foam idea is good. You don't necessarily HAVE to assess every child for every activity. You might discover some children like getting messy and others not. This will help you plan in the future.

I observe the children all the time but assess anything I deem noteworthy. It can be from continuous provision play or an activity or outside activity.

Observations I do, go into each child's learning journey along with any artwork and photos. I get parents to periodically go through them and make comments which will help me further plan activities that will interest and develop the child.

Hope this helps!