PDA

View Full Version : Decopatch?

jadavi
12-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Just got my crafty crocodiles catalogue and am trying to restrain myself...
Has anyone tried the Decopatch layering?
It look quite pricey.
I have a very able four year old nursery child I'm looking for more adventurous craft projects for her. Any ideas?

loocyloo
12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
..... oooo .... after a few months of putting it off, i bought some last term!

my schoolies each chose an animal and i chose the paper ( no arguements that way! )

my youngest schoolie was 6 and lost interest quite quickly and just stuck pieces on any old how ( but schoolie isn't particuarly crafty! ) others took several evenings over the course of several weeks to do theirs.

i then let LO ( just 3 yr olds ) do a wooden star for christmas, they got the hang og it, as long as i had cut up the bits of paper.

we're hooked ... just in the middle of choosing a couple of larger items that we are all going to do together, and will stay here as ornaments/objects in the playroom. i also did a few tree decorations myself !!!

i bought a small glue and one brush, thinking pva glue and paint brushes would be ok too ... the decopatch glue dried REALLY shiny and seemed harder when dry than the pva, and the little stubby brushed work better. i was lucky and crafty crocodiles had a big bottle of glue in their sale before christmas! almost the same price as little bottle!

sorry, i'm rambling!!! definatly worth a go! :D

( and its now in baker ross catalogue too! but CC have a much bigger range of paper and items )

edited to say that we have also used ordinary tissue paper as well as decopatch paper, and we didn't seem to use as much as they say! didn't particuarly layer it on.

PixiePetal
12-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I started decopatching about 5 years ago. Love it for me and the kids :)

At Christmas the 4yr old did the small boxes - needed a little help but really managed most of it

DS has a bedside table and small chest of drawers (would have been dumped had I not decorated them!) decopatched in browns. Also my knife block, magazine rack, tray, tissue box cover.............. as well as small things like Christmas tree decs

I have photos, will have to dig them out!

FussyElmo
12-01-2013, 07:53 PM
I started decopatching about 5 years ago. Love it for me and the kids :)

At Christmas the 4yr old did the small boxes - needed a little help but really managed most of it

DS has a bedside table and small chest of drawers (would have been dumped had I not decorated them!) decopatched in browns. Also my knife block, magazine rack, tray, tissue box cover.............. as well as small things like Christmas tree decs

I have photos, will have to dig them out!

Ohh I have been looking at this for me and the girls you will have to give me so pointers :thumbsup:

jadavi
12-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks!! How does it work? What is it exactly?

jep
12-01-2013, 08:29 PM
I have just looked at the price of decopatch glue.....don't want to pay that much so can you use pva glue and then give it a coat of varnish......I have been thinking of something different we can do and this sounds ideal.........getting excited now lol.

PixiePetal
12-01-2013, 08:46 PM
I have just looked at the price of decopatch glue.....don't want to pay that much so can you use pva glue and then give it a coat of varnish......I have been thinking of something different we can do and this sounds ideal.........getting excited now lol.

the glue is worth having and you need to use it really thinly so it does go a long way. I pour a small amount in a small pot so it does not get wasted. It dries to a shine and hard, but it can be varnished too if you want to.

PixiePetal
12-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Ohh I have been looking at this for me and the girls you will have to give me so pointers :thumbsup:

they will love it. I buy really cheap photo frames/trays etc or get from jumble sales/charity shops and they look amazing. The papers are thin so better to use on a plain base item light in colour if poss too. Makes for great personal presents for family :)

will def take some photos tomorrow

MagdalenaS
12-01-2013, 09:25 PM
hi
I looking forward to do some crafts like this with my kids. will wait for some pictures. :)

Paulab
12-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Is this easy to do, is the paper easy to handle? Does it tear ?

I have big clumsy hands !

I think I could really get into this :-)

FussyElmo
12-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Pixiepetal get some photos up need to have a look :thumbsup:

bunyip
12-01-2013, 09:46 PM
We decoupaged a section of our wall using slighted diluted PVA glue and cut-out scraps (old calendars, cards, magazines, photos, etc.) Painted a coat of Johnson's "Multi-Surface Wax" (and it isn't wax, so it works, but be careful as it's very runny) to give a final protective coat and a slight sheen. This might work on smaller items as a decopatch 'value alternative'. Might be worth experimenting on an inexpensive item first as a try-out. :)

PixiePetal
12-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Just taking pics, back in a few mins!

PixiePetal
12-01-2013, 10:51 PM
few more pics of things I have Decopatched :)

PixiePetal
12-01-2013, 10:54 PM
last ones for now :laughing: need to change the colour of my knife block now we have moved and changed colours in the kitchen :rolleyes:

Mouse
12-01-2013, 11:05 PM
They're fab!

I've got 2 little wooden chairs that I want to do.

Can you use any sort of tissue paper? What about paper napkins? I'm sure I saw something once where you could split 2 ply napkins & use those.

Mouse
12-01-2013, 11:12 PM
And if you're doing a bigger project do you use bigger pieces of paper? For small shapes, boxes etc we've torn the paper into stamp sized pieces. I've got a feeling it would take forever if I did a whole chair on pieces that small!

PixiePetal
12-01-2013, 11:17 PM
paper is bit different to tissue, bit shiny and more crinkly. Never tried napkins I imagine they would be harder to use - the real paper is quite forgiving. I change the size of pieces depending on what I am covering and prefer ripped odd shapes than cut squares but that also depends on the paper design. Smaller prints are easier as you don't break designs so much. Start with something small and see how you get on really - it is quite addictive once you start :)

k1rstie
12-01-2013, 11:20 PM
they say that their paper does not go soggy or wrinkley. Tissue paper would go soggy and the ink would run.

Their paper goes a long way.

They also sell it on ebay and also on hobby craft. I bought a load of glue and varnish on ebay a few years ago. My daughters covered big wodden letters tospell out their names. My older daughter was fine, I had to sneakly glue down the edges for my younger daughter.

Lots of fun and very effective

FussyElmo
13-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Im actually looking around for somthing to decopatch. Mmm wonder if dh is wanting to take me to hobbycraft.

PixiePetal
13-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Im actually looking around for somthing to decopatch. Mmm wonder if dh is wanting to take me to hobbycraft.

look in charity shops/jumble sales/car boot sales too. As long as the item is strong and a shape/style you like you can customise as you like :) My tray was a freebie left at the end of a jumble sale which I was helping at, the magazine rack was £2.50 from charity shop - OK the papers are not cheap but I have things no one else has :) You can do it on ceramic/glass/wood/papermache/stiff board - most things really. I am on the lookout for papers to match my bedroom as I need bedside lights and have some non matching ones which I could tie in together. Really good for picture frames - got some from Wilkos/£ shop and they look great

Daisy has the letters of her name decorated and on the wall of her room and the plain cardboard storage boxes for DVDs etc

Enjoy, you will soon be addicted. If your DH or the kids sit still too long they will get decopatched!!

RainbowDrops
13-01-2013, 05:57 PM
What's the difference between decoupage and decopatch? Xx

caz3007
13-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Decoupage is layering up a picture using foam pads or silicone glue

Decopatch is flat and its glueing paper onto an item, similar to paper mache but prettier...lol

I do both. My son loves doing decopatch and has listed some new bits from the crafty crocodiles catalogue and the paper and glue go a long way

lizduncan72
13-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Been thinking about giving this a go for a while-feeling really inspired now!!

bunyip
13-01-2013, 07:51 PM

Decopatch is flat and its glueing paper onto an item, similar to paper mache but prettier...lolI do both. My son loves doing decopatch and has listed some new bits from the crafty crocodiles catalogue and the paper and glue go a long way

OOps. In that case, we decopatched the wall. We just used our own material for next to nothing instead of spending a fortune on the commercial stuff. We're now doing the wall in the washroom, using a job lot of old seaside calendars, old photos, and last year's Gruffalo calendar. :)

RainbowDrops
13-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Decopatch is flat and its glueing paper onto an item, similar to paper mache but prettier...lol

I do both. My son loves doing decopatch and has listed some new bits from the crafty crocodiles catalogue and the paper and glue go a long way

Ahhh ok so I've always been calling it the wrong name, that explains it :laughing:

PixiePetal
14-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Decoupage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupage)

(also the layering technique)

Decopatch is a brand name :thumbsup:

lynncjt
14-01-2013, 07:23 AM
few more pics of things I have Decopatched :)

Love what you have done - think I need to try some with proper papers now - I've tried with paper napkins which look quite good but don't give a really smooth finish.

Dragonfly
14-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I love the photo's of your decoupage but could someone please tell me yes, I know I'm being thick here but what do the stars mean in several of the threads:blush:

PixiePetal
14-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I love the photo's of your decoupage but could someone please tell me yes, I know I'm being thick here but what do the stars mean in several of the threads:blush:

thanks!:blush:

the stars are usually bleeps for naughty words but they seem to be replacing normal words today?!

edited to say the stars have gone from posts now!

jadavi
14-01-2013, 11:09 PM
You've all sold it to me! Just bought a load from yellow moon.... Now have to decide what to cover!

bunyip
18-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I had an email from Crafty Crocodiles to say they have 20% off selected Decopatch lines until 27 January. :)

pat75
18-01-2013, 08:03 PM
I had an email from Crafty Crocodiles to say they have 20% off selected Decopatch lines until 27 January. :)

Me too. Just bought plenty of staff for kids. :blush: Should last couple of months - or so I hope. :clapping:

samb
19-01-2013, 08:23 PM
I had been looking at getting a paper mache letter for each of the children I look after (their initial) to decorate and now that there is a discount in crafty crocodiles I have decidedd to go for it! But I have never done this before and have no idea how much paper to order. Has anyone got any idea how you work out how much paper you use? After reading this thread I am also wondering if the younger ones would be able to do it? I was thinking maybe the younger ones could paint theirs and just stick on tissue paper if they want to join in with the bigger ones? Help before i spend a fortune lol!

Toothfairy
20-01-2013, 09:57 AM
We did this at Xmas.
I bought the angel figures and we just used coloured tissue paper and PVA glue. While the glue was still wet, we sprinkled them with glitter. Very easy, even the little ones could do them.
They turned out great and the parents loved them. :thumbsup: