PDA

View Full Version : Why cant parents ever collect on time?!!!

greanan
11-01-2013, 05:40 PM
So annoyed, hair app was made for tonight at 5.15, one mindee away at 4 the other meant to be away at 4.45. He has just been collected now!!! Wouldn't mind so much but it's been getting cancelled at least twice a week since end of November, just made a new one for next week and just know I'll end up being held on and not making it! No point at this atal, just needed to vent lol x

mushpea
11-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Don't cancel it, tell the parent if they can't be there on time they will have to collect from the hairdressers, also introduce a higher rate for latness, some nurserys round here charge £5 per 15mins!,

FussyElmo
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Hope you are charging an apprioate late fee :thumbsup:

greanan
11-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Don't cancel it, tell the parent if they can't be there on time they will have to collect from the hairdressers, also introduce a higher rate for latness, some nurserys round here charge £5 per 15mins!,

I had to cancel it at ten past, wouldn't of made it. Dad collected at said 'oh just nipped to shops for tea after work!!' Don't think I'd of minded as much if he was actually held on at work!! Makes me mad!

crazysally
11-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I always let my parents know when i have an appointment close to when i am due to finish work. So haven't had a problem with that. However i do have parents who are late sometimes, i am always clear with themto let me know when they are running late and how long they will be. At least you can work around that better than not knowing when they will come.

caz3007
11-01-2013, 06:37 PM
I would make sure he is aware of the contract collection time and that is the time he must collect by

carlyr
11-01-2013, 06:45 PM
This was happening to me a few weeks ago.only on a Fri as have one that does half day finishing at 12.30 I had an important appointment that I couldn't miss. It was grandparent picking up and for several wks running was ten mins late with no apology or explanation. When I fluffed it up with mum she said she hadn't realise grandparent was turning up late an she would sort it. I mentioned the late fee and since then she's been on time. Its like they don't realise we do have lives aswel sometimes such as appointments etc.

funemnx
11-01-2013, 07:07 PM
I would mention to parents that I had to be off on time on the day :thumbsup:

silvermist
11-01-2013, 07:08 PM
I have a charge of £5 for every 15 minutes parents are late but I have never had to use it. Parents obviously dont want to get charged so they pick up on time....so far!

cathtee
11-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't cancel, I would take lo with me and parent would have to find me. This sort of thing makes me :mad: do they think we haven't
got a life other than look after their child.

Cottonsocks
11-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I have 1 Mum who turns up at contracted 5pm to pick up her boys, then she picks up at 5:15. This happens 3 days in a row. Traffic problems maybe, but no sorry or explanation. I don't say anything. Then she starts turning up at 5:30! She car shares to work and leaves her car at the top of my road. I notice that she arrives back on time to pick up her children, gets in the car & pops into town making her half an hour late. I then invoice her for the double fee for every 15 minutes she's late (times 3 children). That mounts up! A couple of weeks of that & she turns up on time another few months! I've also been known to gather my family together & we all stand at the door with mindees as though we have somewhere to be as soon as they've gone. Then dashed off in the car (around the block & home again! Lol)

loocyloo
11-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I have 1 Mum who turns up at contracted 5pm to pick up her boys, then she picks up at 5:15. This happens 3 days in a row. Traffic problems maybe, but no sorry or explanation. I don't say anything. Then she starts turning up at 5:30! She car shares to work and leaves her car at the top of my road. I notice that she arrives back on time to pick up her children, gets in the car & pops into town making her half an hour late. I then invoice her for the double fee for every 15 minutes she's late (times 3 children). That mounts up! A couple of weeks of that & she turns up on time another few months! I've also been known to gather my family together & we all stand at the door with mindees as though we have somewhere to be as soon as they've gone. Then dashed off in the car (around the block & home again! Lol)

LOL! i have had my children sitting in the car waiting to go before now! did a quick round the block, and as i got near home, mum was STILL in car outside the house, luckily i could do a quick turn down another road!

last term, i told mum i HAD to be away at pick up time as had to take 5 boys ( and DD! ) to football ... she turned up and they were all in the car, with the window down, saying 'hurry up!' she said 'you weren't joking were you?' ummmm NO ! :laughing:

wendywu
11-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I always tell my parents if i have to be away on time and write it in their diarys.:)

Porridge
12-01-2013, 12:03 AM
And it's always the ones who quibble over everything. eg. Mum who says 'why do I have to pay the full hour when it's only 45 minutes?' And then frequently turns up 10 minutes late... (and drops off 10 mins early!!!) :mad:

stargazer1
12-01-2013, 06:47 AM
I have one family who are terrible for this. They've shot themselves in the foot tho, because in the end they I said to them that they must ring or text if they will be late, which they do frequently and now I more often than not say "sorry, I can't do a late one today as DD has brownies/I'm going out" etc. I don't mind if its a genuine reason like a traffic jam or something, but why should my evening get eaten into so they can do their Tesco shop??

blue bear
12-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I would have been ringing dad at 4.55 to ask why he was the late and telling him had an appointment, if he had not turned up by 5 I would have left and he would have had to ring me to fine out where I was, I would have told him he was however minutes late and I would be charging x per 15 minutes u til child was collected from me at the hairdressers.

Keep it professional but make sure dad realises that he can't just turn up when he likes, you have a life of your own. Stand up to him now or this is really going to eat into you and make you resent childminding, I know I have been there and learned the hard way.

toddlers896
12-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I had this problem yesterday too. My mindee normally gets picked up at 4 and my hubby asked me to pick him up at 4.10. They didnt turn up until 4.30 and my poor hubby had to walk home. He was freezing! I dont charge for lateness but i do charge for the extra time that they are with me. I do find it awquard though because the day before they collected half hour early so i feel really embarassed charging for the lateness.
Ive also got another one that changes her shifts all the time and i have to keep changing my dentist appointment but ime gonna make sure that she has plenty notice next time and she wont be able to change her shift.

charleyfarley
12-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Happened to me too yesterday, always on a Friday!!!!!!!! Got a call at 5 (should be grateful of that) to say they were going to be late 6pm. Wasn't happy but at least they phoned in advance, they normally wait till they are actually late to call. Anyway 6.20 Mom turns up, yes I got a sorry but 6.20 on a Friday night :angry: Then as she was paying me the extra money Dad turned up also, wouldn't mind but the reason why they were late in the first place was cos they were together at the garage collecting Dads work van and organised mom to collect. Oh yes and works van should have been collected in works time, not mine!!!!

I often have a bath running when parents turn up late, one day they may just take the hint :D

Carol xx

kazh69
12-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Make it worth their while collecting on time.

I charge £10 late collection AND £5 per 15 mins. Suprisingly mine are NEVER late :clapping: