PDA

View Full Version : multiple childminders from one house

Trudey
11-01-2013, 04:08 PM
my friend and i was looking into sharing a house to childmind from. I heard from a source that if the number of children go over a certain number it may be seen as a nursery in the eyes of ofsted, can anyone shed any light on this please

rickysmiths
11-01-2013, 04:12 PM
If you look on Ofsteds web site they have a number of fact sheets. What you are suggesting is Childminding on non Domestic premises. In other words no one will live in the house you are using as their home.

Trudey
11-01-2013, 04:26 PM
not at all, its my friends home at the moment. she is a single person and she said we can both childmind from her house. nut im sure i read on here a while ago. that there is restrictions to how many children in a premises before its considered a nursery. i will look at the fact sheet now x

linzi133
11-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong -

3 people can work together before it would be classed as childcare on domestic premises.
Numbers of children would depend on available floor space.

Does this answer you question?

Trudey
11-01-2013, 04:44 PM
yes it does thanks. its just a idea were throwing around at the mo x

christine e
11-01-2013, 05:42 PM
You also need to think about if your local council would require you to obtain planning permission - some councils will only allow you to care for a total of 6 children before you need planning permission.

Cottonsocks
11-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm in Wales so it works slightly different sometimes, but my husband and I are both Childminders. We could only care for 6 children between us or alone, we had to apply for planning permission to increase our numbers to 11. A complicated process, but we were able to get it paid for by Early Years Childcare Partnership (£450!) glad we've done it now though, although our house is slightly chaotic!