PDA

View Full Version : Signing up for 2014!!

migimoo
10-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Had a call today from a mum who's due to have her baby in March/April and wants to reserve a place for Jan 2014-talk about planning ahead!
She said some lovely things about my ofsted report so nice to know all the stress was worth it.
I said to contact me nearer the time and she could place a deposit in maybe Oct or Nov to reserve the space if it's still available,she doesn't want to pay half fees to secure a place though...does this sound ok?

I'll be tempted to turn down any part time enquiries nearer the time now though as she wants full time and LO will be 9 months old so it will be a long term contract so hope she doesn't let me down...she seemed super-keen though.One LO is starting school in Sept freeing up 1 space.

loocyloo
11-01-2013, 01:50 PM
LOL! i had an enquiry just before christmas for january 2015 !!!!

LO due to go to day nursery in next few months, but when LO starts nursery, obviously day nursery can't do pickups and then when LO is at school, mum wants a before/after school & holiday place !!!!

i said, talk to me closer to the time, but they live nearby and i bump into mum all over the place. i will keep it in mind as i look at what everyone is doing, and mad as it sounds ... it might actually fit in with a current mindee leaving !!! how mad is that? !!!

lynncjt
11-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Sounds good to me! Nothing like a bit of forward planning!

SYLVIA
11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
It's great when it all fits in well in advance. Then you just concentrate on the ones you have now and don't even have to think about what will happen when they move on to school. At the minute I am full every day but with a couple going to school in different areas in september, 2 mums finishing college and another mum expecting a baby in july, I will be down to schoolies each day and one lo 2 days a week. Hoping for that phone to ring soon!

bunyip
11-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Could you ask her to pay a retainer/deposit when you reach the point where you'd be forced to turn down a genuine enquiry in order to keep the place reserved for her/ :)

blue bear
12-01-2013, 02:11 PM
But when the government increases our numbers you wil have loads of spaces no need to worry anymore, h and you an put your prices down too, problem solved :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

LauraS
12-01-2013, 02:20 PM
But when the government increases our numbers you wil have loads of spaces no need to worry anymore, h and you an put your prices down too, problem solved :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

Very true. I am investing in shares in ABC/other four seat pushchair makers, minibus manufacturers and makers of straightjackets and grey hair covering hair dye. I fully intend to cash in when numbers go up.

migimoo
13-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Could you ask her to pay a retainer/deposit when you reach the point where you'd be forced to turn down a genuine enquiry in order to keep the place reserved for her/ :)

She's coming for a cuppa and a chat next week so i'll put this idea to her then....she seems very keen but all that could change once she visits and sees my 2 heads and kiddy cage:D

bunyip
13-01-2013, 07:45 PM
She's coming for a cuppa and a chat next week so i'll put this idea to her then....she seems very keen but all that could change once she visits and sees my 2 heads and kiddy cage:D

Lol:laughing: Is your 'Kiddy Cage' anything like my design for a 'Left Child Locker' system? (I'll have a hundred on every commuter station in the UK just as soon as Ms Truss approves my evil scheme - apply now if you want in on the biggest ever franchise scheme in childcare :rolleyes: )

These situations can be so difficult. I'd far rather have a family that planned ahead than someone who left childcare to the last minute. I think it says a lot about where their priorities lie. OTOH, people's job can change (or cease to exist) so quickly these days, that it's a bit nerve-wracking having to trust them to still need you in 12 months after you've turned away a dozen other offers.

I have a very similar situation with a mum of 2 who asked last summer if I could offer care from this September. It's a bit complicated by a number of different things, but the bottom line is that I want to do it, whilst still worriting that it could all go pear-shaped for nobody's fault but the chancellor's.

I also have a whole host of provisional enquiries, amounting to about 9 children at the last count. These are all people who have asked seriously about availability, but all depending upon future changes at their workplace; whether dad gets a particular contract; if they have to give up homeworking; or if the company will be offering additional hours to part-time staff, and so on. Plus, nobody seems to work a 5 day week either: I could fill Mondays twice over, yet have just one school pick up on Wednesdays. So many if's/but's/maybe's; so many different combinations of days worked. I've had to make charts full of sticky notes, just to see where I stand.

It can be difficult convincing the parents of the need to make a decision or lose the chance. They see me off to toddler group with one lo in the pushchair and assume I must have lots of vacancies all the time. They don't understand that it would only take a family with 2 children to sign and that would take up all my spaces, as I have to reserve 3 for the younger batch of grandchildren. :p