PDA

View Full Version : New puppy - help me find my sanity!

hannahemilie
09-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi all, we got a puppy on sat. She is a golden retriever cross and the cutest thing! I researched getting this puppy for about 6 months maybe, thought it would work, and finally found 'the one'!

Researching and reality is two totally different things! I wondered if anyone else had got or has a puppy? Please tell me it gets easier, because i have an 8 year old daughter of my own, a cat, am a single mum, I've had no sleep for 4 nights, not much food, lost 6 pounds and may have developed a caffeine addiction. I mind 9 kids not all at once. At most I have 4 after schoolies. But it is so difficult, we have a crate which helps. But I am so sleep deprived its worse than having a baby! I am so glad I have her though, but will it get better? Oh and I have my driving test tomorrow. You have to laugh!

Xxx

Trouble
09-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Give it a teddy and leave the radio on low and dont give in or your will regret it:panic:

it will soon get the message sounds cruel but they have it sussed and will play on it xxxxx

Trouble
09-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Good luck with your test xx

littletreasures
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
What she said!!!

However, I did find my pup really didn't like his crate, so I got a playpen and fixed it round his crate, so he had a bigger area. He was much better then.

Take it outside regularly and say "be a good girl" and praise the life out of her when she does a wee or poo.

It does get better, honest.

Oh, and photos please :)

Trouble
09-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Littletreasures and i are experts on nightmare dogs and puppies :D

littletreasures
09-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Littletreasures and i are experts on nightmare dogs and puppies :D

Too true. Nightmare puppy is lying on the floor in the lounge chewing his stag bar!!!

Trouble
09-01-2013, 09:59 PM
My nightmare dog has been to the vets again he has hurt his toe nail and is so sorry for himself and hes limping:panic:

AliceK
09-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes it will get better. I found it helpful to give mine a piece of clothing that I had worn to have my scent on it for him to have in his crate with him at night. Actually I gave him my perfectly good fleece jacket which I kind of knew I wouldn't get back. It slowly got chewed to death but it did the trick. Don't give in to the whining but make sure the crate is a nice / good place for him to go and never use it as a punishment. My "puppy" is now nearly 2yrs, he loves his crate and will often just go and lay in there with the door open. (at least thats when he's just been told to get down off the sofas :laughing:)
Good luck. It will all be worth it in the end.

xxx

hannahemilie
09-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks :) nice to hear I am not alone!!! I don't have much room for a pen, how I will fit in a bigger crate I will never know!! But I had it all worked out...... Didn't I?! Xx I don't know how to upload pics from my phone! Too much for my brain to handle prob ;) xx

hannahemilie
09-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks Alice xx

TAZ
09-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Good Luck for your driving test :)

lynncjt
10-01-2013, 07:06 AM
It will get better! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Things I did, got an adaptil diffuser (supposed to give off scent like the mother dog), I covered the crate at night with jacket of mine, (used to settle her like a baby with my hand on the crate where she could smell it until she calmed down and then gradually moved away). A tiny bit of raw liver when ever she poohed/peed outside and give it a name when they do it.

There is a great web forum for dogs where I learnt loads Dog Forums - Pet Forums Community (http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-forums/) with really helpful people (nearly as good as this one!!)

Good luck it will be worth it!

Daisy De
10-01-2013, 07:27 AM
I have had two puppies in the last four years, when I got the second I remembered how hard it was with the first, a fact, like childbirth, you forget :)

All the advice in this thread is good so I won't repeat it but just remember to be consistent, firm and train your puppy in little 5 minutes doses a few times a day. The adult dog you get is 90% reliant on what effort and consistency you put in when they are puppies so believe me it is worth the initial work and stress.

I have two Golden Retrievers, I know yours is a retriever cross, I adore them and all the effort and tearing my hair out when they were puppies was so so worth it. Mind you, like children, enjoy those puppy months they are over very very quick.

Sorry couldn't resist a picture :blush:

Daisy De
10-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Good luck on your driving test as well :D

Tazmin68
10-01-2013, 07:29 AM
It will get better! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Things I did, got an adaptil diffuser (supposed to give off scent like the mother dog), I covered the crate at night with jacket of mine, (used to settle her like a baby with my hand on the crate where she could smell it until she calmed down and then gradually moved away). A tiny bit of raw liver when ever she poohed/peed outside and give it a name when they do it.

There is a great web forum for dogs where I learnt loads Dog Forums - Pet Forums Community (http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-forums/) with really helpful people (nearly as good as this one!!)

Good luck it will be worth it!

My baby is now 3 years old and boxers don't grow up! I have a grate I have a crate in the garage which is off the small hallway I have. My kitchen was too small for the crate so she has a small bed in kitchen and has access to kitchen and hallway when I am out and when have mindees. Yes she sleeps on her bed on the corner of our bedroom she does not sneak onto the bed previous boxer did. I have a throw on one end of one setee which she uses when we are in and normal family time. Went to obedience classes as soon as had injections and vaccination card and pet ins in policies and insurance file. Plus pet handling permission forms signed by all parents. Yes very hard work for a while but most defiantly worth it. I now have a good quite well behaved boxer.

lynncjt
10-01-2013, 08:22 AM
I have had two puppies in the last four years, when I got the second I remembered how hard it was with the first, a fact, like childbirth, you forget :)

All the advice in this thread is good so I won't repeat it but just remember to be consistent, firm and train your puppy in little 5 minutes doses a few times a day. The adult dog you get is 90% reliant on what effort and consistency you put in when they are puppies so believe me it is worth the initial work and stress.

I have two Golden Retrievers, I know yours is a retriever cross, I adore them and all the effort and tearing my hair out when they were puppies was so so worth it. Mind you, like children, enjoy those puppy months they are over very very quick.

What beautiful dogs! I was brought up with one like that when I was a child - she was the love of my life!

hannahemilie
10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone you are making me feel better!
Daisy your dogs are gorgeous
I shall try and post a pic later:)
Driving test soon although it may be cancelled there is a lot of fog!

Toothfairy
10-01-2013, 11:35 AM
We got our new puppy a couple of months ago.
At night, we put her in her basket with a blanket and one of those teddys you put in the microwave.
She cried for about 5-10 mins and then went off to sleep.
We did this for about a week and then the crying stopped.

Her name is Meg and she is a West Highland White.

Tazmin68
10-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi trouble

Hope you boxer is feeling a bit better. When I was supposed to pick up our one from the breeders we had a call and had to collect her a few days later as she climbed out of the puppy pen and sprained her paw. It was rather funny as the breeders then decided to bring her into the house and put her in kitchen to keep an eye on her and that night the other six climbed out of the puppy pen she must have shown them what to do!!

hannahemilie
10-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I passed my test! I cannot believe it. Miracles happen... What a horrific experience it was though!

hannahemilie
10-01-2013, 02:35 PM
We got our new puppy a couple of months ago.
At night, we put her in her basket with a blanket and one of those teddys you put in the microwave.
She cried for about 5-10 mins and then went off to sleep.
We did this for about a week and then the crying stopped.

Her name is Meg and she is a West Highland White.

What a lovely dog. I love seeing other people's dogs x

k1rstie
10-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I passed my test! I cannot believe it. Miracles happen... What a horrific experience it was though!

Brilliant!!! Well done.

sometimes you do better at things where you think you will do badly - must make you brain relax a bit - 'cos you are going to fail anyway'. My really stressed out and ill mum passed her test too yesterday!

lynncjt
10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Fantastic news on passing your test - congratulations!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Trouble
10-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Hi trouble

Hope you boxer is feeling a bit better. When I was supposed to pick up our one from the breeders we had a call and had to collect her a few days later as she climbed out of the puppy pen and sprained her paw. It was rather funny as the breeders then decided to bring her into the house and put her in kitchen to keep an eye on her and that night the other six climbed out of the puppy pen she must have shown them what to do!!

my boxer lets himself out of the back door we have to keep it locked !:D

Trouble
10-01-2013, 04:06 PM

This is Tilly my other dog who gives the boxer a run for his money so is just the cutest but was supposed to be a shitzu/pug cross but now has long legs so i dont know what she is !:laughing:

littletreasures
10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
I grew up with a golden retriever and we got a retriever when my youngest was 3. We lost him nearly 2 years ago. I still miss him, he was such a wonderful boy. So laid back and the kids adored him.

We have a labrador x and a toller now.

hannahemilie
10-01-2013, 07:08 PM

here is Ruby... Thank you everyone xx

hannahemilie
10-01-2013, 07:09 PM

This is Tilly my other dog who gives the boxer a run for his money so is just the cutest but was supposed to be a shitzu/pug cross but now has long legs so i dont know what she is !:laughing:

oooooooh so cute!!

hannahemilie
10-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I grew up with a golden retriever and we got a retriever when my youngest was 3. We lost him nearly 2 years ago. I still miss him, he was such a wonderful boy. So laid back and the kids adored him.

We have a labrador x and a toller now.

wow what a wonderful colour!

RainbowDrops
10-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Beautiful dogs!!! x

fionamadcat
10-01-2013, 07:52 PM
No other advice but just to say I remember very well when we got our first puppy (almost 10 yrs ago) that it was harder work than having a newborn. I promise it does get easier.

PixiePetal
10-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Well done on passing your driving test :clapping:

Our pup is now a 3yr old little madam :) terrier ,ix, mainly black and called Halle.

She loves her crate and knows when she is in it the kids are not going to get her. Now we leave the door open most of the time but good to have the option to shut her in too which is the best thing we ever got for her.

I remember her crying at night but it settled within a few weeks, we went on hols about 6 weeks after getting her (bad timing) and SIL house/puppy sat - by which time she was setted till 6.30am after her last outing for a wee at night.

wouldn't be without her :)

Trouble
10-01-2013, 11:25 PM

here is Ruby... Thank you everyone xx
Very cute !!!!! Look at that face how can you be cross:D

pinklady756
11-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Many congratulations on passing you test!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I feel for you with the puppy, I remember only too well, it was hard work in the beginning, no sleep etc. A neighbour advised using a crate and although I hated the idea, it really did help to settle him and is his safe place, he's 2.5 yrs now and he sleeps in there every night.

As everyone has said, it will get better and be worth it in the end. I wouldn't be without my little baby, it changes your life.

Daisy De
11-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Congratulations on passing your test, another huge milestone achieved.:clapping:

And Ruby is just gorgeous and will be worth all the puppy trauma.:D

happydays1
11-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Congratulations on passing your test, i know what your going through we got our puppy 2 weeks ago, a miniture Dachshund. He is going to bed good now at 10pm and not whining but does wake up between 3-4 for the loo. We were told to get a crate just big enough for a bed as dogs will not mess in thier own beds (but must take them out regulary for loo) and he sleeps in thier at night. We have a play pen for during the day when the children are here, he is still whining in there but it takes time. One bit of advice i was given which i think is good is not to give in to puppy whining no matter how bad it sounds as it will make a rod for your own back as they get older! (Although i gave in last night lol after his injection and microchip as i could of cried myself when he was yelping, but back to normal today):)

hannahemilie
11-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone...

about crate training - she has practically stopped whining when in the crate now. That's a small step! Tonight dd is at her dads for the weekend so I was going to put her in there at night(she's not been in at night before) and get up every 2 hours.... She will be in the kirchen and me upstairs. I know she can hold for 2 hours as she has done in the day.. Do you think 2 hours is ok or can I increase it or wait few days to increase the gap? Xxx

Trouble
12-01-2013, 11:07 PM
I used to use those puppy pads fold one in half at night and put it in her crate at one end then let her out last thing and first thing and if you have her running around before bed she should be tired and sleep