PDA

View Full Version : The name for CRB checks has changed - 07.01.2013

sarah707
08-01-2013, 08:07 PM
The name for CRB checks has changed - they are now DBS checks - Disclosure and Barring Service.

https://www.gov.uk/crb-criminal-records-bureau-check/overview

If you employ other childminders you might need to change your handbook, safeguarding information and recruitment procedures to reflect the new name.

If you have written about CRB checks in your portfolio, in any policies and procedures you need to change the wording.

You might also want to update parents with the new information in your next newsletter.

The rules in Scotland for Scottish childminders are different - Employers & Agencies - Apply for a disclosure - Disclosure Scotland (http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply/employers/)

:D

Rick
08-01-2013, 08:15 PM
The name for CRB checks has changed - they are now DBS checks - Disclosure and Barring Service.

https://www.gov.uk/crb-criminal-records-bureau-check/overview

If you employ other childminders you might need to change your handbook, safeguarding information and recruitment procedures to reflect the new name.

If you have written about CRB checks in your portfolio, in any policies and procedures you need to change the wording.

You might also want to update parents with the new information in your next newsletter.

The rules in Scotland for Scottish childminders are different - Employers & Agencies - Apply for a disclosure - Disclosure Scotland (http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply/employers/)

:D

Excellent, that has caused more work! Is there any change other than the name? :)

MagdalenaS
08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
thank you for info

Mrs Scrubbit
08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks Sarah x

cathtee
08-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks Sarah :thumbsup:

buttonmoon11
08-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks Sarah x

Toothfairy
08-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks Sarah :thumbsup:

chriss
08-01-2013, 09:15 PM
If its just a name change its a waste of time, cos everyone knows CRB, and it will be "err...a what ?? :mad: So do I call my CRB a DBS if i had it before this name change date Sarah 707 ?

TAZ
08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for letting us know.
I'm due a policy review & update next week anyway so I can add that in too:rolleyes:

PixiePetal
08-01-2013, 09:25 PM
So do I fill in the CRB forms for DS who is now 16 - they only came last week. Or will I be sent something different now? :rolleyes:

Thanks Sarah as usual, you are a star. I can't keep up with things!

MessybutHappy
08-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Thank you sarah. I think shall make a handwritten note on my already printed policies etc rather than printing them all out again! As a previous person said, they'll be known as crb's for a while!!

mum24
08-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Thank you sarah. I think shall make a handwritten note on my already printed policies etc rather than printing them all out again! As a previous person said, they'll be known as crb's for a while!!

Good idea, me too.

bernesewalking
08-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Thank you for that information

sarah707
08-01-2013, 10:37 PM
I don't have any more info than is on the website at the moment - it's very new news - we are all waiting for further guidance from Ofsted :D

littlelollies
08-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks Sarah w

cherry
08-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Thank you Sarah

JCrakers
09-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Just a quick question about crb.

How often do I have to have one taken?

Muffin
09-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks Sarah :)

sarah707
09-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Just a quick question about crb.

How often do I have to have one taken?

Ofsted tell me they do not have any plans at the moment to update / renew CRB / DBS checks... :D

sarah707
09-01-2013, 06:13 PM
So do I fill in the CRB forms for DS who is now 16 - they only came last week. Or will I be sent something different now? :rolleyes:

Thanks Sarah as usual, you are a star. I can't keep up with things!

There is a new version of the EY2 form on the Ofsted website - dated 28 Nov 2012. That's still the most up-to-date one :D

sarah707
09-01-2013, 06:15 PM
If its just a name change its a waste of time, cos everyone knows CRB, and it will be "err...a what ?? :mad: So do I call my CRB a DBS if i had it before this name change date Sarah 707 ?

:laughing:

I think we'll be saying 'DBS - the document formerly known as CRB' for some years to come!

What you have is a CRB check - it was done before the name change - there are no plans at present to update it.

The agency has now changed its name - not your disclosure document :D

sarah707
09-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Excellent, that has caused more work! Is there any change other than the name? :)

As far as I can see it's mostly just the name. The other requirements for notifying safeguarding concerns etc appear to be the same.

Ofsted still pay for them... they will still take the same length of time... the EYFS still says you must have them for anyone living or working on your premises over the age of 16 - you still use the EY2 form from the Ofsted website (new version dated 28 Nov 2012 currently on there)...

Hth :D

sarah707
09-01-2013, 06:19 PM
sorry for the delay in answering the questions guys! I was waiting for the children to go home so I could ring Ofsted and do some more internet research :D

bunyip
09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
AFAIK it's pretty much the same thing as before, but with added 'portability' for disclosures issued for the purpose of voluntary work.

It still helps to contribute to the poisonous relationship of distrust being developed between the generations.
It still proves nothing, so it helps to feed into the sort of complacency that undermines safeguarding.
It still won't help a legally "not guilty" person who has their career destroyed by unproven allegations.

So, no change in all practical respects. :(

Tigertots
09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks Sarah

Shivvie
09-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Sarah :)

chriss
09-01-2013, 08:52 PM
"The artist previously known as Prince" springs to mind :rolleyes:

sarah707
09-01-2013, 08:56 PM
"The artist previously known as Prince" springs to mind :rolleyes:

You noticed my paraphrasing! :laughing: :D

chezzagriff
14-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Regarding the CRB checks me and my husband got ours back today. Mine is clear but he has 3 things from when he was a teenager over 10 years ago. I rang OFSTED today and they said they hadnt looked at it yet as it was only today but I cant settle as I dont want them to say no. It was silly teenage mistakes but worst he didnt declare them as they have never come up before and no actual charges were made so he assumed they were not part of his record as he was a juvinile. It was a genuine mistake but now looks like hes tried to lie. Does anyone know if this will affect the decision and how it will take for them to let me know as I can see me loosing sleep overthinking about it.
Thanks everyone

littlelollies
14-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Regarding the CRB checks me and my husband got ours back today. Mine is clear but he has 3 things from when he was a teenager over 10 years ago. I rang OFSTED today and they said they hadnt looked at it yet as it was only today but I cant settle as I dont want them to say no. It was silly teenage mistakes but worst he didnt declare them as they have never come up before and no actual charges were made so he assumed they were not part of his record as he was a juvinile. It was a genuine mistake but now looks like hes tried to lie. Does anyone know if this will affect the decision and how it will take for them to let me know as I can see me loosing sleep overthinking about it.
Thanks everyone

This happened to me my hubby had not mentioned records to me ever and then just forgot!!! Ofsted were fine and quite quick at sorting you have to complete some declaration to say if isn't a naughty boy now it was years ago blah blah and then should be fine.... I also made my hubby feel like if had ruined my chances and if was nice as pie and bought of flowers.... Well worth it lol good luck

chezzagriff
14-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks. Hopefully everything will be ok then. I didnt know you get a chance to explain yourself which Im glad you do.