PDA

View Full Version : Variations

JCrakers
08-01-2013, 04:44 PM
At the beginning of sept I sent a letter out to all parents about the new ratio rules and they all signed saying that they understood etc.

Since sept I've had about 6 variations for the odd day. Each time I've written to each parent involved explaining that I will have 4 under 5s blah,blah, etc.

Do I NEED to tell parents each time? One parents asked me today why I have to keep telling her. I've got another variation to do next Tuesday and I'm wandering whether or not to tell everyone again

Any ideas?

jenblack
08-01-2013, 05:39 PM
I don't tell my Parents everytime - I've known them a long time and they respect my judgement

sarah707
08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
There is a process you need to go through when you change the conditions of your registration ie organise a variation.

Following the process will help to ensure you have the right evidence to show Ofsted when you are inspected.

The process includes informing parents of what you are doing, listening to their concerns and giving them reassurances that their child's needs will be met.

Here it is in detail -

Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

Hth :D

ChocolateChip
08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
I did a letter recently as had a variation for an existing client wanting to swap days. I put in something along the lines of ..........four children in the early years age range between the hours of .... and ........ on Monday 7th January, please note that this variation may also occur on occasional Mondays in the future.
I also made up a little form for them to sign to say they had understood and had no concerns and put that bit on there aswell. It will only be occasional as the child who swaps only needs to do this about once a term and one ofmy Monday children is only every other week so chances are I will only need it once or twice, and of course I will also remind everyone verbally if it crops up again.

Just to add if I needed a variation for a different day/ circumstance I would do a separate letter and form for that.

JCrakers
08-01-2013, 06:33 PM
This is what I send out to parents each time I change the ratios. So it looks like I should stick with this each time.

Dear parents,

On Monday 21st January I will have 4 children under 5yrs between the hours of ... and ...
I can assure you that the care your child receives will not be affected and I am working within the guidelines of the new eyfs that came into effect at the beginning of sept 12. If you need to ask anything o have any concerns please do not hesitate to ask

Many thanks

mum24
08-01-2013, 09:58 PM
This is what I send out to parents each time I change the ratios. So it looks like I should stick with this each time.

Dear parents,

On Monday 21st January I will have 4 children under 5yrs between the hours of ... and ...
I can assure you that the care your child receives will not be affected and I am working within the guidelines of the new eyfs that came into effect at the beginning of sept 12. If you need to ask anything o have any concerns please do not hesitate to ask

Many thanks

I have been doing something similar but putting the notice on my board in large writing for parents to see when they drop off.
I also have a previous letter in place informing them that I may have a variation in place from time to time.
My problem is this, I had two full time and then two part time. The part timers fitted around each other really well. However, both mums made redundant within a week of each other, but wanted to keep the place open, so changed contracted hours to as required and if space available, (this was in August) which worked ok, but now both have got jobs just working bank hours in different companies, and occasionally they overlap, sometimes just by half an hour, but I only know at the weekend if this is going to happen. Once or twice it has been for 2 hours but never longer than that.
All parents know this, and they are ok with it, but I still get shivers occasionally as I am not fully confident that Ofsted will be happy with it. I do have triple, double buggy etc if needed and risk assess each situation, and once did turn one away because I didn't think I could managed a planned outing, but even so. It may not be so bad, but so many childminders have stopped minding round here, and others are not willing to take one on an as needed basis. Some weeks neither child comes at all.