PDA

View Full Version : Changing hours....need a moan!

SimplyLucy
24-06-2008, 09:02 AM
My full timer (4 days a week) is going to be changing his hours in a couple of weeks, but his parents aren't giving me a clue as to what the new hours are. :angry: I've explained that they should be giving me 4 weeks notice but it just doesn't go in. I kinda get a reply that hints at mon-thurs 8.30-5.30. (currently I'm doing mon, wed, thurs, fri, 9.15-5 then once a month tues instead of weds.)

I know I will be having him a few more hours than I am now so it will actually be more hours. Good for the money side of things. :D

However.............I have a feeling she wants him to come every Tuesday, well I help run the Rainbow pack on a Tuesday so it's not going to be very easy. At the moment he only comes to me once a month on a Tuesday.

I told mum when she dropped him off this morning that I'm taking him to Rainbows with me tonight, I said he'd have his hot meal at lunch time and I'll give him his sandwiches for tea at Rainbows. She said that was fine, I'm not sure what she'll think if I have to do this every week though. :rolleyes: It'll only happen once in July then it's the summer so won't matter till mid September.

I can't afford to lose a full timer because of Rainbows but don't feel I can ditch that at the mo. It's a nightmare.

Why do parents assume we don't have a life and can drop everything in an instant just for them? :angry:

Northernbird72
24-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Didn't you know that you are supposed to re-arrange your life to fit around them??? It gets my goat when parents think that you will drop all your routine to fit their darlings in. I have a parent who texts me at gone 9pm on a Sunday evening to tell me she will be dropping off her son at 7am the next day!! I have text back and said no on a couple of occasions. I'm sorry but I'm not being taken advantage of like that. Every now and then if I feel that this is happening I do take a stand and say no sorry I can't have your child at such short notice. It does seem to make them realise I'm not at their beck and call, and do actually have a life of my own.

Your situation is slightly different, but I would explain to her that you have a long term commitment to the Rainbows and if she needs you to have her child on the Tuesday, that meals will be affected and the child will have sandwiches at Rainbows. I would actually draw up a new contract and write in about the meals in an additional information, I can't see this being a problem the child is still getting the same meals. If she doesn't want that to happen tell her she will have to arrange for an earlier collection time so that your plans are not affected. If you are going over your standard hours I'd be tempted to say that after core hours your rates are higher, makes the botheration factor slightly more worthwhile.

Now I sound like a real grump :( , I do actually have a fantastic relationship with all my parents, but I am very clear about working hours and my family time.

Hope it works out for you:D

Tracy

sarah707
24-06-2008, 09:45 AM
You want a life?? Of your own?? Don't be silly :rolleyes: :laughing:

She's just going to have to put up with him having a pack up tea every Tuesday ... :D

brillminder
24-06-2008, 10:03 AM
you could charge the normal hours for a month and the extra as over time if they dont give you enough notice tell them this i bet you get an answer quick them ask what they need and say you will check & come back to them :)

miffy
24-06-2008, 10:06 AM
you could charge the normal hours for a month and the extra as over time if they dont give you enough notice tell them this i bet you get an answer quick them ask what they need and say you will check & come back to them :)

I think that's a great idea! Think it will work too

They are not being very fair on you, bet they wouldn't like it if you did the same to them

miffy xx

Hannahlg
24-06-2008, 10:07 AM
will my mum also used to run rainbows and one little girl who we used to look after she is now 9 and dosent coem anymore she came from 6months old till she was 8 years old ,

well the parent put the childs name down for rainbows (her old sister went also) and when it came for her to start she was due to picked up at 5.30pm rainbows started at 6pm so instread of dad rushing home to take the child to rainboows etc (mum worked late that night) my mum decide it would be easy if we just took the little girl to rainbows with us

SimplyLucy
24-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Well I've just discovered a huge problem now!

I've taken on a before and after schooler to begin in September, had space for her as my full timer didn't arrive until 9.15. However if he is coming earlier I won't have that space.

My mum is registering as my assistant so fingers crossed that is though for Spetember.

BIG PROBLEM.......another childminder is going off sick as of Tuesday (having surgery) and I said I could start my before and after schooler in July rather than September. :eek: If fulltimer wants to come at 8.30am I'm going to be over numbers for 15 mins 2 mornings a week without and assistant!

If fulltimers mum eventually gives me new hours I will now have to tell her that he can't come until 8.45am on a tuesday and thursday because I have already signed the other contract, plus she will have to bring him to the school for me!

OH why can't life be simple..............I know I know I'm asking a lot, first I want a life then I want a simple one! :laughing:

ruby
24-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Me and Rachel do Rainbows on a Tuesday as well

we were having problems as well when we started at 5.30 rachel was usually late 6.oo some times which was not acceptable as we both needed to be there for our ratios.

so we changed the time to 6.00 which was fine for the parents( could you not do this )

we still have to take 2 with us as they don't get picked up till 7-730

and like you we take sandwiches for them.

luckly they are 3 and 7 so most of the time they join in with what we are doing.

cathy