PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Processing Disorder!

green4lynn
06-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Have any of you had any experience of a child with Sensory processing disorder? One of my mindees parents thinks her little boy may have this, and having looked it up I am inclined to agree with her! He ticks so many boxes on the list of symptoms! He is going to the doctors on 16th, the practice nurse at our docs has referred him for a second opinion.
I just wondered if any of you have any practical experience of this illness!

Thanks x

sarah707
06-01-2013, 07:57 PM
I was looking up information about sensory overload for something I was writing earlier.

It's important that the child has a quiet, calming environment without too much clutter and other things going on.

There are different types of sensory clutter - auditory, environmental etc - they are all worth researching.

hth :D

The Juggler
06-01-2013, 08:29 PM
yes, though at the time I looked after her we (me and parents) thought it was dyspraxia. After infant school got involved and she was assessed with school they diagnosed SPD.

When I had suggested referral to paedetrician at age 4 she had 1/2 hour assessment and he diagnosed nothing was wrong.

She had speech problems and speech therapy
used to fall over, often and bump into things with no pain, no crying
repeat questions over and over
she would for example be on a climbing bridge look to the left, and forgetting where she was let go and fall off.
She would overhug other children to the point they'd end up falling over in a heap.

her 'treatment' was twice daily pressure massage along with other things and lots of one to one at school or small groups for concentration.

green4lynn
10-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks Juggler,

The lad in question is definitely getting worse with his strange behaviour! When he's "normal" he is lovely, affectionate and great fun but its like a switch has been flicked and he completely changes! He screams and shouts if you say something he doesn't want to hear or if he's not happy with a situation! He hits himself on the head which is quite disturbing. He is very bright and can recite stories and sing complete songs ( he's just 3) and has known his colours, shapes and numbers since before he was 2! He will deliberately try to knock other children over, can't keep still and suddenly starts laughing for no reason! He is very sociably with other children, particularly familiar ones, and gets excited if he sees his friends!
His mum is waiting for a referral to a psychologist to see if they think there is something wrong. I can honestly say I've never met anyone else like him before!

Lynn x

samb
10-02-2013, 10:47 PM
No... But my own ds has been having issues and I spoke to school saying I wondered if he has asperges and they mentioned this sensory processing disorder- I'm having a meeting on Friday with the sen coordinator about it. I'd never heard of it before so glad it has come up!