PDA

View Full Version : Might have my fitst child

stacieepg
05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi, I've just had my first phone call from a parent to come and have a look round , I don't feel ready now panicking abit, would Ido daliy obs or any do I do learning journey for everyday ? I feel like I've forgot everything lol help :-)

Rick
05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi, I've just had my first phone call from a parent to come and have a look round , I don't feel ready now panicking abit, would Ido daliy obs or any do I do learning journey for everyday ? I feel like I've forgot everything lol help :-)

Hi

Right ok stop panicking! The parent is probably only going to have a look around your house and check whether you are a suitable person to look after their children. They won't be testing you on your knowledge pf the EYFS and if they are anything like my parents, they probably don't know half of the things childminders do and it will be a nice surprise when you tell them all the things you are going to do for their child.

You don't have to do obs every day, maybe every 2 or 3 days on average (depends how many days you have them and how long during the day). I personally do spontaneous obs i.e. I spot when child does something noteworthy and do an obs sheet then. That means sometimes I do more than one a day, sometimes I don't do one for a few days. I put my obs into the learning journey along with any other photos which the parent might like to see. Every now and then I send the learning journal home so parents can view it and make comments.

If you have a child under say 3, you will probably like to do a daily diary. I normally so a side of A5 each day telling the parents what the child did, how many naps and nappies, what food they ate etc.

Good luck, just be yourself!

stacieepg
05-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I think what has worried me she works in a school lol she isn't happy with her current childminder,which worrys me:-/

bunyip
05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I think what has worried me she works in a school lol she isn't happy with her current childminder,which worrys me:-/

Remember the visit isn't just so the prospective client can make a decision about you: it works both ways. Never think that the sole aim is to sign up a new client at all costs. It's just as important for you to think of it in terms of entering into a partnership with someone you can work with.

To put it another way: half the point of a visit is so you can filter out the nutjobs and excessively demanding types that you really don't want within 100 miles of your door ever again. :p

Rick
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM

You can only promote yourself, you can't comment on what the other childminder is like, maybe she just isn't connecting with the child or parent or something. You might click with the parent straight away. Only you can decide if the parent and child are right for you. If they are not, don't be afraid to say you don't think it will work after they have left and you have reviewed how the viewing went.

Try not to over-impress, just be yourself.

Good luck!

jess18
05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi,

When a parent comes to look around, I find it can be a nervous time in general, ensuring that everything runs smoothly. I've found that when they come to look around, try to gel with the child, interest her in different things such as asking her if she would like to draw. When it comes to observations I do two spontaneous obs a week (maybe more if the child does more) then every six weeks I then do two focused observations. This is to ensure that the child is achieving her/his goals. At the end of each six weeks I then write a summary just saying how she/he is developing and then set new goals for the following 6weeks.

Good luck with your look around, I hope this helps?

stacieepg
05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes that's very true just over thinking l think :-)

migimoo
05-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Little tip to add to the other great comments...my last 2 families that signed with me both said that what made them choose me over other CM's they'd seen was that I said I was strict on manners....I expect and reinforce them from LO's and use them myself when speaking to LO's - also i'm big on handwashing?!

Good luck!

bernesewalking
06-01-2013, 07:16 AM
I've been a childminder for 16 years and still get very nervous but try to relax, good luck tho x