PDA

View Full Version : Fire drills with very young children?

Dionnefp
05-01-2013, 11:59 AM
The children in my care are all under 2. Prior to this I had a few before and after school children so could see the benefit of doing fire drills with them. I've popped a note in my fire drill record book that due to the age of the children on roll at this point, formal fire drills won't be done, and in the event of a fire, I will gather the children together and we will exit via the nearest fire exit as marked on my fire plan. Do you think that is sufficient? Anyone know what nurseries do with their baby/toddler areas?

sarah707
05-01-2013, 05:49 PM
We involve all the children - set the alarm going, pick them up and take them outside.

It is also useful to think about where you'd put them when you get out - we have our double buggy set up all the time when we have 2 little ones so we can pop them in that.

We also have an emergency box on the drive with some essential bits and bobs such as blankets, bottles of water and biscuits - they like their little reward while we wait for the pretend fire engine :D

Rick
05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Also important to do the fire drill for your own benefit, not just so the children understand what the fire alarm sounds like and what to do......how long did it take, what problems did you encounter, how could you make it more efficient etc.

I also have 2 children and my son on one day a week, ages 1, 2 and 3 so I know it is difficult to get them out of the house but I'd rather find out my struggles in a practice situation than when a fire is raging through the house!

Sarah, having a treat waiting outside is a genious idea, it might encourage the children to get to the door quicker in a real situation!

blue bear
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Emergencies don't happen like you think they will in your head, so practising is important more for you than the children, so it's automatic. My friend and I call each other and say there is a fire in your lounge, , bedroom etc and evacuate based on that information, it's not at a pre set time so could be in the middle of lunch or having just stripped the children down to play with a bowl of jelly etc.
It really does make you think what if and how you will cope, it's made for some interesting fire drills I can tell you.

mum24
05-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Emergencies don't happen like you think they will in your head, so practising is important more for you than the children, so it's automatic. My friend and I call each other and say there is a fire in your lounge, , bedroom etc and evacuate based on that information, it's not at a pre set time so could be in the middle of lunch or having just stripped the children down to play with a bowl of jelly etc.
It really does make you think what if and how you will cope, it's made for some interesting fire drills I can tell you.

This is such a good idea, I always found the fact that I knew when the drill was going to be defeated the object really because it was never really inconvenient - such as in the middle of lunch - I think I will have to get together with someone and do this.

Dionnefp
05-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Yes, valid points. I do plan on doing evacuations to see how it goes, but they would always have been premeditated as such, so the idea of a friend calling is great, and much more realistic.

I've never actually set off my fire alarms, but shouted the word fire. It concerns me that it might really unsettle and freak babies out, which I don't want to do just for a practice. It's not like they can respond to it like an older child.

My double buggy is usually up in the hall daily, but I never thought about it as essential to a fire drill. You're quite right though.... I would need it, so will make a note of that.

Much appreciated everyone. Thanks!

TAZ
05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
My policy is to do fire drills for all children over the age of 2 but in reality that means that the under 2's take part as they are around too.

Really great points & ideas. Thank you.

lilac_dragon
05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Yes, valid points. I do plan on doing evacuations to see how it goes, but they would always have been premeditated as such, so the idea of a friend calling is great, and much more realistic.

I've never actually set off my fire alarms, but shouted the word fire. It concerns me that it might really unsettle and freak babies out, which I don't want to do just for a practice. It's not like they can respond to it like an older child.

My double buggy is usually up in the hall daily, but I never thought about it as essential to a fire drill. You're quite right though.... I would need it, so will make a note of that.

Much appreciated everyone. Thanks!

I agree about the real fire alarm freaking babies out, i had one just 12 months who was hysterical. I know that in a real situation there's no choice, but I don't do it for the practise one if this lo is here. As my alarms are all linked in if i set one off, then all 7 go off and the noise is incredibile!!
I've taken to practising with a battery operated one that i keep in the garage just for the practise runs, but still not with tinys.

blue bear
05-01-2013, 10:24 PM
I don't set the smoke alarms off, we have had two fires (not working and not serious)neither set the alarms off, to be honest I think it better just to keep them calm and get them out ASAP. Although they do hear the alarms when I'm cooking lol

lorraine04
27-02-2013, 07:28 AM
I have been trying different ways to practise fire alarms but no matter what way i do it my little one always becomes hysterical. It takes forever to calm her down afterwards. Does anyone have a simple way of doing a drill that they can share?

christine e
27-02-2013, 07:55 AM
The children in my care are all under 2. Prior to this I had a few before and after school children so could see the benefit of doing fire drills with them. I've popped a note in my fire drill record book that due to the age of the children on roll at this point, formal fire drills won't be done, and in the event of a fire, I will gather the children together and we will exit via the nearest fire exit as marked on my fire plan. Do you think that is sufficient? Anyone know what nurseries do with their baby/toddler areas?

Think it it very important to think about (and practise) how you would evacuate if one or all the children were asleep - they might be in different rooms to you and or each other

blue bear
27-02-2013, 03:59 PM
With my one who got hysterical at the word fire drill I just never told her it was a fire drill,we would go out quick to look at the car or whatever and then tell her afterwards until she was ready to play the fire drill game.

sarah707
27-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I have been trying different ways to practise fire alarms but no matter what way i do it my little one always becomes hysterical. It takes forever to calm her down afterwards. Does anyone have a simple way of doing a drill that they can share?

Dingalingalingaling goes the fire bell - children, what do we need to do next?

Make it a game, get them lining up at the door... :D

lubeam
27-02-2013, 10:13 PM
this thread has been really useful! thanks guys ! :)

chriss
27-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I like the idea of the phone a friend. Much more realistic ...and inconvenient like it would be in real life.

chezzagriff
28-02-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a whistle for my practice drill. I only had my first child this week though so I am new to it. How often should they be done? Also do you draw up a plan of your house with the fire exits or should you get this off who you rent off? Finally can I make up my own fire drill booklet or are there specific ones?

karensmart4
28-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I have a whistle for my practice drill. I only had my first child this week though so I am new to it. How often should they be done? Also do you draw up a plan of your house with the fire exits or should you get this off who you rent off? Finally can I make up my own fire drill booklet or are there specific ones?

When I worked in an After School Club we were told not to use a whistle indoors as it can damage young ears..... just thought I would mention it, although our supervisor carried on and used one :panic:

zippy
01-03-2013, 07:20 AM

Fantastic idea, going to ask some of my mindee friends if they're up for this

chezzagriff
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
The Ofsted inspector was fine with me using one but if that is the case might try a different method, thanks for letting me know :thumbsup: