PDA

View Full Version : Triple Buggy help

Dionnefp
04-01-2013, 11:28 PM
I am soon to have 3 young children on a daily basis - one 6 month old, one 14 month old and one 17 month old. I would ideally like a triple buggy but a standard triple umbrella type is too wide to fit in the school gate, so that's out the question, and the others I've looked at (ABC Adventure and T3 Jogger) seem so bulky I think I'd drive my family nuts bringing it in and out of the house (not to mention the cost of buying it).

I have 2 double buggies at the moment and was planning on using one of them with a sling for the 6 month old. I just think my poor back or shoulders are going to take such strain, especially if I walk to and from school every day which I would like to (15 mins each way).

Has anyone got any advice on what they have done in a situation like this? I've considered getting a kid sit for the older child rather than a standard buggy board where they have to stand, but do you think they are still a bit young even for that? There's also the little buggy that fits on the side of a pushchair (buggy pod), but I've heard some really awful stories about them.

Thanks all :)

blue bear
05-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I have a phil and ted sport with buggy pod, nice and sturdy and the children love it. The rain cover just about fits over and it doesn't recline effectively so no good for a sleeper. You have to judge the best way up big curbs but other than that it pushes easily and folds up quickly when you need to go through narrow gaps.
It's no good for heavy children as it will pull so I always put heavier ones in the pram and the lighter little girl in the pod.

The Juggler
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
i'd say a kid sit or a buggy board might be a bit much for every day for a 17 month old. I tried one of my LO's when she was 18 months but there was no way. I waited til she turned 2 and she still struggles - but she was a late walker.

I've had other LO's that have been fine at 18 months but just on the odd occasion - every day might be a lot for your LO.

The T3 is huge especially if you've no rear access to your house or got a garage but it's a good option. I bought one on gumtree for £300 for the same reason. When LO was big enough for the buggy board, I sold it for £250 (just over a year later).

So you will not lose out too much. :thumbsup:

Dionnefp
05-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Does it really feel sturdy? I have a phil & teds explorer and always thought because the frame at the side is fabric covered rather than metal (iykwim), the buggypod might move around a bit? There are quite a few curbs on my school run. Would that be a pain with it?

When you say the rain cover fits over, do you mean the p&t double fits over the buggypod too?

The children that would be best suited to going in it are pretty heavy (around 13kg), even though they are both only 1 :eek: The other 2 are likely to want to sleep (months and 13 months but still in a twice daily nap routine), so while they are obviously much much lighter, I can't imagine them being comfortable in a buggy pod if they are tired. Does it recline enough for a little nap?

Dionnefp
05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
oops, just re-read your post Blue Bear and realised you did say it's not suitable for a sleeper. I can't edit my posts yet because I'm still new on here so when it's posted just ignore the bit about asking if it reclines.

Thanks for your reply too Juggler. You've confirmed the things I thought, that they will just be too young for buggy type boards.

I have been in contact with Phil from ABC Adventure buggies in NZ. I may just bite the bullet and order one *gulp*. There is one on ebay at the moment that I went to have a look at but it is properly knackered and I can't find another second hand one anywhere. I don't fancy the T3. It looks even bulkier than the ABC (and that's big enough!). Hopefully you're right and in time I can sell it for a reasonable price.

moggy
05-01-2013, 05:07 PM
A 6mth old in a sling should be no problem if it is a good sling (not a high-street type crotch-dangler that puts all the weight on your shoulders!). Look at baby-wearing websites, do you know anyone who uses slings that you could ask? I have a mei-tai, a Patapum, a woven wrap and a ring sling. I carried my DS2 until he was 3 years old so it is very do-able. I love carrying a little one in a sling, it is a lovely bonding experience and keeps your arms free. A good sling puts the weight onto your hips/waist and is wide over the shoulders.

Porridge
05-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I don't know about 3 seat buggies, but i did regularly use a Jane power twin with 'seat to go' buggy board for about 2.5 years, backed up with a sling (me-tai & then a 'connecta'). I found it fine & ended up carrying my son everywhere until he was 3! Never felt so fit and healthy!! Good luck. Xx

bunyip
05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
@Dionne - I've sent you a detailed PM about the T3 Jogger. Let me know if you've any questions. :)

TAZ
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a great double 'out & about' jogger style pushchair & then a backpack carrier which I regularly used to march about the village with. My son used to love going in it (much more than the pushchair) and he used it till he was 4. He regularly slept in it - He was worn out after play group.
It really depends on the size/weight of the child though.

melco
08-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't want to jump on this thread but I will have the same problem from April and at the moment they are all non walkers I will have 2yr old, 16mth old and 9mth old but the problem I have is that I will only have all 3 of them 1 day a week sometimes 2 so feel I can not justify buying a triple buggy. Any ideas?

MagdalenaS
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi

I would say buggy board for 2y old.

I just started with 14m old twins and I putted 18m old on the board. She is pretty advanced with motor skills.
I had my toughs but ... she is completely fine. I have double Mountain buggy. I can easily push it with one hand and hold my lo with other or secure her on the board.

M xx

melco
09-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi

I would say buggy board for 2y old.

I just started with 14m old twins and I putted 18m old on the board. She is pretty advanced with motor skills.
I had my toughs but ... she is completely fine. I have double Mountain buggy. I can easily push it with one hand and hold my lo with other or secure her on the board.

M xx

Hi,

2 yr old not walking!! The parents are getting special shoes for her this month that should help but no guarantees that she will be walking by April when new child starts. However, I have been thinking about this today and as the 2 yr old only comes once a week and the other two are Tuesday-Friday I can going to see if they are happy for her to come to me on a Monday instead. I did have this as paperwork day but think it would be best.

melco

The Juggler
10-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't want to jump on this thread but I will have the same problem from April and at the moment they are all non walkers I will have 2yr old, 16mth old and 9mth old but the problem I have is that I will only have all 3 of them 1 day a week sometimes 2 so feel I can not justify buying a triple buggy. Any ideas?

i'd say if child is 2 already a buggy board would be fine. :thumbsup:

melco
10-01-2013, 12:35 PM
i'd say if child is 2 already a buggy board would be fine. :thumbsup:

She doesn't walk because she has weak ankles and muscles in her legs. Like I said though I think I have found a solution by swapping her days.