PDA

View Full Version : Free Nursery Provisions

Pipsqueak
23-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Come 2010 (and its not that far away really) - the government are going to be bringing in 15hours of free nursery education for 3 and 4 year olds (was at a network meeting tonight), instead of the 12.5hrs as it now.

This this is going to affect minders quite badly as nurserys will have the option to provide ie from 9am through to 2pm and then I think, many parents will opt to pay for the remaining 3 or so hours to keep them in one place. Each provision will be able to offer different options - extending to 3hrs per session instead of 2.5hrs....

Another blow for us minders I think! Or am I being a bit negative about this?

kindredspirits
23-06-2008, 09:23 PM
they already give this in peterborough and there is still a huge demand for minders so i wouldn't worry too much!

Pipsqueak
23-06-2008, 09:25 PM
they already give this in peterborough and there is still a huge demand for minders so i wouldn't worry too much!

I hope so. Mind you if our area is still this dead I think I am going to have to look at doing something else. Finances are getting tight and hubs is predicting a slow winter for us (its already a slow summer and thats when he makes his money up:( )

sarah707
23-06-2008, 09:26 PM
They have started offering it round here -they are doing 845-1145 and 1230 - 330 sessions, 5 days a week.

They are also saying chidlren can stay for lunch for an additional fee.

Nobody took up the lunch option at our local school and I still get work from there ...

We can only wait and see I suppose :rolleyes:

breezy
23-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Doesn't sound good, guess we wont know for sure til it happens :(

son77
23-06-2008, 09:34 PM
My DD had her nursery intro last week & the manager told me that aswell as increasing to 15 hours they are also going to lower the age, cant remember whether she said 2 or 2.5 years for the free funding too.

wendywu
23-06-2008, 10:18 PM
They may as well go from the hospital to a nursery then.:panic:

I might start a kennels for children, it is getting more and more like that each day. Oh darling shall we go and buy one of those baby thingys. We can always put it in the kennels when we get bored with it and need time off. :angry:

wendywu
23-06-2008, 10:22 PM
thats only an extra 1/2 hour per day though. I would not have thought that would make a difference. :)

donnahay0
23-06-2008, 10:31 PM
If they are going to keep offering longer sessions & free places which might result in many childminders getting less work & having to give up then why on earth are we all having to do so much out of hours training - sounds like all for nothing.

All that training isn't going to do me any good sat in a stuffy old office.

Can only hope and pray that it doesn't come to that.

tulip0803
23-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Here the children have their free nursery provision for only 2 terms after they turn 3. The term of their 4th birthday they can start full time school 8.45-3. The childminders here are all fully booked - no spaces despite the children starting school earlier.

miffy
24-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Reading through it really does seem to depend where you live so perhaps you are right to be worried Pip.

Here children get one or two terms in part time school before they start full time and there is lots of competition from nursery, playgroup and after school clubs.

miffy xx

Monkey1
24-06-2008, 06:11 AM
My little ones get that here already! I have another one starting nursery in sep so my money will go down more. I really ought to start thinking of compeating and offering the free hours and claim it back from the government but to be honest i can't be bothered with the paperwork!

charleyfarley
24-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Our local pre school used to do just mornings then when they moved into their new building they started offering some afternoons too as well breakfast club and after school club.

They've just sent letters out offering a holiday club for some of the 6 weeks holiday.
They normally charge more than me but for the 6 weeks hols they have undercut me. Not sure if people will take them up as they aren't offering all the weeks.

Them doing the extra hours has affected me as lost a mindee to it a few weeks ago.

I'm just hoping my full timers parents dont put him in pre school Sept as my money will go down big time

Carol xx