PDA

View Full Version : one afternoon a week

butterfly
23-06-2008, 08:40 PM
what is the consensus? would you accept a child for one afternnon a week?

miffy
23-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Depends on the circumstances - yes if I needed the work or if it was filling up an odd space; no if that's all it was likely to ever be and I didn't need the money.

miffy xx

Blaze
23-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I would, but they would have to pay my minimum ten hour fee...not worth my while otherwise!:)

butterfly
23-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Blaze - what sort of contracts do you get? part time or full? are parents happy to accept your min 10 hour fee? how do you advertise this or do you just wait until asked?

kindredspirits
23-06-2008, 09:07 PM
i'd agree with blaze - minimum of 1 days pay unless you are trying to fill the odd space - if not i'd worry that i was taking space from a longer contract.

sarah707
23-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Think I've already said elsewhere - I wouldn't do it...

Apart from the money, you will need to implement eyfs from September.

That will mean doing some form of observation, assessment and planning with the child, linking up with other settings, starting some kind of learning diary, feedback from and to parents etc ... an awful lot for 1/2 a day :panic:

Jinx
23-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't do it either.

Can't believe that a few months ago I had an enquiry for 1 hour, 12-1 on a Friday and I actually considered it!!! What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Sarah is right, too much paperwork to make it viable really.

Jinx x

theoldwoman
23-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I have just been to an EYFS thing and the woman that did it said you only have to do the obs, diaries etc etc if you are the primary carer (not counting mummy of course, why I don,t know). I have a lo twice a week for 2 hours after pre-school (I go up for others anyway) and she said I wouldn't have to do him. Think I will just have lots for short times!!
Sue

wendywu
23-06-2008, 10:12 PM
No i would not do this. I dont do half days.:panic:

angeldelight
23-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I would not do it - its not worth it

Angel xx

Blaze
23-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Blaze - what sort of contracts do you get? part time or full? are parents happy to accept your min 10 hour fee? how do you advertise this or do you just wait until asked?

I've replied to your Pm re this.:)

Spangles
23-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I have a brother and a sister who I have one day each, separately, for 2.5 hours a morning and this has worked out fine for me.

They fit in with my f-timer and also I have another p-timer who has the afternoon to one of their mornings.

I did explain to their mum though that if they stopped me having a child for more hours I would have to consider giving notice (I was caring for these before the f-timer came along) and she understood that but was desperate for the care.

It's worked out really well for me.

I would still consider work for short amounts of hours to go alongside my f-timer as I have no intention of having two f-timers but a little extra money doesn't go amiss!

venus89
24-06-2008, 06:22 AM
What are these learning diaries you're all mentining? I've obviously missed that part of it! Surely observations are a kind of learning diary? I find I might write 'x is trying to pull himself up to standing' one week, and the next week I'm writing that they can do that.....