PDA

View Full Version : How to put people off...

gegele
03-01-2013, 05:30 PM
received a mail saying my profile has been viewed on childcare.co.uk , I check the requirement from parent (as for once the profile was active and filed properly) :

mum goes on about her son and his attendance at nursery, then say she also has a toddler and finish by :

I need a childminder to do son drop of and pick up then babysit my daughter!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: NICE ONE LADY!!!

karensmart4
03-01-2013, 06:14 PM
:censored: Cheek :panic:

sarah707
03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
I used to have a child whose mum called me a babysitter - she came from South Africa and said that's what daycare was called there!... I didn't know if she was telling me the truth or not but it always made me feel a bit strange :laughing:

xx

funemnx
03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
'Babysitter' always gets my back up! :(

TAZ
03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
To be fair to lots of parents out there, it's terminology and unless they read lots of childcare magerzines why would they know the difference. 12 years ago when my eldest was born I wouldn't have known.

cathtee
03-01-2013, 10:05 PM
One of my lo's teachers sends her out to me saying there's your babysitter :mad:

bunyip
04-01-2013, 07:44 AM
To be fair to lots of parents out there, it's terminology and unless they read lots of childcare magerzines why would they know the difference. 12 years ago when my eldest was born I wouldn't have known.

I agree absolutely. Personally I am quite secure enough in my own self-image and work role not to have to worry my little head about this sort of thing. Nor am I quite so self-obsessed as to feel the need to sneer at babysitters: the good ones actually fulfil a very worthwhile role and do it pretty well. In fact, I don't feel entitled to look down on people in general (although I'm prepared to make an exception for MPs, solicitors, and their ilk. :D )

If a parent meant offence by it or was undervaluing what I do, then I'd know by other things than just using a rather old-fashioned word. "Babysitter" is certainly less of a mouthful than "Early Years Professional" or "Children and Young People's Workforce Practitioner" whch honestly mean very little to most people.

I expect many of us let the lo's watch the rubbish being collected each week by the "binmen" without worrying whether that term causes offence to the "waste management and sanitation operatives team." :)

teacake2
04-01-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't really like the term childminder either, I don't think the actual word conjurs up much respect, but don't know what else would be better.
Teacake1

LauraS
04-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't really like the term childminder either, I don't think the actual word conjurs up much respect, but don't know what else would be better.
Teacake1

I agree, I don't think 'childminder' infers much more than babsitter. 'Minding' suggests just watching over a child.

Don't think that there's a better term, though.

bunyip
04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
My friend says the word "childminder" conjures up a mental image of a miniature Dennis Waterman in a tiny brown leather jacket, trailing round West London in the wake of a miniature George Cole, occasionally beating up a few 'rough kids' from the estate. :D