PDA

View Full Version : LO that wont sleep unless being cuddled!

charlieamber
03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi I have an 12 month old started with me that will only sleep when being cuddled, mum says she has tried all sorts to get her to sleep on her own in a cot in the day but nothing works. I have been having LO a couple of hours a month since sept so mum and LO get used to me lol, so never really had a problem as most times she didn't need a sleep while at my setting. I asked mum yesterday if she would mind me trying to get her in a routine of going to bed awake and she was fine with it. I put her up in the cot at 12 and for 15 didn't hear a peep out of her so thought, woohoo lol. It didn't last long as she then got her self upset so I brought her down and within 2 mins of holding her she was fast asleep and now laying on the sofa next to me while I am on here! It's ok today as I only have her here, but yesterday when I have 3 LOs I couldn't sit on sofa with her until the other two had a nap. Mum says to cuddle her and put her in the buggy but I know ousted don't like us doing this, so what would you all do. Am planning on continuing to try and get her in the cot, but don't want her to get upset about it. Thanks

Boris
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I would persevere with the cot. I have a LO that won't go in a cot in the day at home but does here. Good luck x

Also, if mum is happy for LO to sleep in the buggy and you are happy with that just get her to write something down for ofsted!

toddlers896
03-01-2013, 02:08 PM
I would also persevere. It took me 6 months to get a LO to sleep in the cot becasue of the routine of being cuddled and sleeping in parents bed.
Stick with it, it will eventually go your way x

Mouse
03-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Years ago I had a lo who would only sleep if he was being cuddled. You couldn't even put him down when he was asleep. Mum understood that while it was OK for her to do that, I obviously couldn't.

From the beginning I put him in a lie back pushchair to sleep, often out in the garden if the weather was good. He'd cry at first & I'd have to stand rocking him, but at least I wasn't holding him. Over time I needed to rock him less & less and it wasn't all that long before he would settle himself quite happily in the pushchair. He even did it at home, so his parents were thrilled!

Who says Ofsted don't like children sleeping in buggies?. I've never yet seen anything in the EYFS that says they have to be put in cots! I have always used lay back pushchairs and don't even own a travel cot now. I have written permission from parents to allow their children to sleep in the buggy and Ofsted inspectors have seen the children asleep in them. You have to do what is best for you & the child :thumbsup:

blue bear
03-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Mine all sleep outside in pushchairs. They sleep much better outdoors, I can see and hear them the whole time. (conservatory is out play room and I put them just outside)
Why don't ofsted like them sleeping in pushchairs, children sleep in them all the time when you are out for a walk, what's the difference at nap time?
Never had an ofsted inspector take umbridge with little ones sleeping out in their prams, they usually make positive comments about it, how good it is for them etc.