PDA

View Full Version : My best buy

AliceK
03-01-2013, 08:26 AM
My best buy in ages are these 2 huge buckets. They are flexible plastic and I bought them from the garden centre in their sale. All the children love them. They can sit in them (even my 8yr old fits in) and they have been planes, ships, cars. Sometimes they just sit in them and read, play on the DS etc. Going to have to get some more I think they are so popular. I'm trying to clear out the toy room from lots of the toys and aim for more OE Resources.

xxxx

lou lou
03-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I had that once when i had delivered from the council recycling bins which i just left inside and the kids played with them all day doing all sorts of different things with them just goes to show they dont need toys all the time.

karensmart4
03-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I've got those with the outdoor toys in them, you are right, they love emptying them out and just playing with the buckets :laughing:

bunyip
03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
I saw a similar thing when I went to church at Xmas (not normal for me, but it was the church which runs 1 of our toddler groups, so I thought it was the least I could do in return.)

The leader (pastor/vicar?) gave a talk which involved a huge 'present' he had wrapped beautifully. When he came to unwrap it, it was just an empty box. The message was that we often have all the fancy trimmings at Xmas, but no real content or meaning - just an empty space and a useless box.

Unfortunately, the guy didn't know what we CMs know - "no plan survives first contact with children." :rolleyes:

Far from thinking an empty box was rubbish, all the children put down the new toys they'd brought along, and rushed out front to grab the box and make use of it's fantastic plan opportunities. :clapping::laughing::clapping:

Oops. :blush:

[edited for fat-fingered typos.]

jadavi
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Haha brilliant story! Bet he was mortified!! Talk about your message falling flat!!!!

AliceK
03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I saw a similar thing when I went to church at Xmas (not normal for me, but it was the church which runs 1 of our toddler groups, so I thought it was the least I could do in return.)

The leader (pastor/vicar?) gave a talk which involved a huge 'present' he had wrapped beautifully. When he came to unwrap it, it was just an empty box. The message was that we often have all the fancy trimmings at Xmas, but no real content or meaning - just an empty space and a useless box.

Unfortunately, the guy didn't know what we CMs know - "no plan survives first contact with children." :rolleyes:

Far from thinking an empty box was rubbish, all the children put down the new toys they'd brought along, and rushed out front to grab the box and make use of it's fantastic plan opportunities. :clapping::laughing::clapping:

Oops. :blush:

[edited for fat-fingered typos.]

:laughing: Exactly. My DD (5yrs) came out of school just before Xmas with an enormous cardboard box, it wasn't decorated or anything just a big box, quite how she thought I was going to get it home with the double buggy and 5 children I do not know, but anyway she told me it was her sleigh. It's still in the play room, it's been played in by lots of children but amazingly it's still in 1 piece. Children LOVE empty boxes don't they.

xx

SYLVIA
03-01-2013, 02:08 PM
My LO's love boxes too. But they always end up tearing them before the days out! Might try the bucket things as they should be able to make them last for at least a week!

AliceK
03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Well been out and bought another one today :thumbsup: Not sure what will happen on Monday when I have 6 children here and only 3 buckets, going to end in arguments I just know.

xxx

jackie 7
03-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I have lots of the smaller size. They are played with all the time hats(!!) to carry toys great when you stand in them and best of all for me to collect the toys and return them to the right place. I will look at the bigger ones.

AliceK
03-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I have lots of the smaller size. They are played with all the time hats(!!) to carry toys great when you stand in them and best of all for me to collect the toys and return them to the right place. I will look at the bigger ones.

ooh I've not seen the small ones. Shame, I would buy some if I had.
Maybe I will take all the toys out of the playroom and replace with buckets and empty boxes :laughing: I think the children would be very happy.

xxxx