PDA

View Full Version : Variation advice please.

blue bear
02-01-2013, 04:06 PM
This is a question I have been asked and cannot make my mind up on what the answer should be, so thought I'd ask you lovely lot. :blush:

Childminder looks after 2 children in eyfs and has a three year old of her own.
The three year old attends a childcare setting 9-3 four days a week, mum has been asked if she could care for another eyfs child 9-3 on those four days. Now dad drops and collects the three year old to her childcare setting as well as being on call if the child was taken ill. He could also care for his daughter if the setting was ever closed.

Can the childminder grant herself a variation based on the fact her three year will be cared for by someone else during 9-3?

LauraS
02-01-2013, 04:50 PM
My gut instinct is no, I think. To make an exception to ratios by disregarding your own child, and for new business, I think the care arrangements for your own child would have to be totally bombproof. Would there really be no way, ever, that the CM might be called on to care for their own child if the arrangements with the other setting broke down? Ever? What if nursery closed and DH had an urgent deadline at work? What if nursery closed for an extended period (as mine did, once, for snow for about a fortnight) and DH had used up all his holiday/parental leave/goodwill at work? What if CM and her DH had a bust up and he left :o. What if DHs car broke down, or he broke his arm and was unable to drive/walk and pick child up?

I think for continuity of care for an existing child, if quality of care and all else weren't compromised then it wouldn't be such an issue, but for new business I don't think it will fly. Who is to benefit, other than the CM's finances? It doesn't seem to be in the best interests of any of the children.

That all said, what would I know?!

sarah707
02-01-2013, 05:58 PM
I think Laura has made some valid points - even if the childminder's child is totally secure in the care of others and there is no chance of him/her coming back home there is still the fact that it's new business rather than continuity of care.

Hth :D