PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice

abba1772
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm hopefully getting my certificate to childminder after re registering but I've just discovered I'm five weeks pregnant.........this happened last time I was registering 6 years ago lol and I was back childminding two weeks after having my youngest.

Do I need to declare I'm pregnant to parents before I have passed the 12 week mark???

Would be willing to find a temp childminder when I have two weeks off after having baby xx

Can anyone offer any more advice on best professional practice

Thanks xx

catminder
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't think you should feel obliged to tell parents until you are ready to. If you are just taking 2 weeks maternity leave then it wouldn't really have more impact than a holiday, although of course you may not be able to give them as much notice!
Good luck with finding mindees, and congratulations on your happy news :clapping:

vals
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Personally, if I was a parent and signed up with you,and then found out a few weeks later that you knew you were pregnant when I came to see you and hadn't told me, I would feel you hadn't been honest with me.
Its not just about the time off - which in itself may not go as you plan, so parents would have to have something in place just in case. Its about making a choice about someone looking after my child without been given all the information - after you have the baby things will change, you will have less time to focus on the minded children etc. Nothing to do with how well you can manage, just that its not fair to not tell parents before they sign up with you.
Parents often ask about other children that will be at a setting, maybe they don't want there to be young babies.

sarah707
02-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Congratulations! :clapping:

It's up to you when you tell parents - you might not want to tell anyone until you hit the 12 week mark which I think is acceptable as you are still in the period where the pregnancy is at most risk.

However, parents do need to know fairly sharpish because they will have to work round your appointments - and you cannot guarantee you will only need 2 weeks off because of possible complications.

Have you chatted to your partner? He should have a say too.

Hugs xx

abba1772
04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replays ladies xx

Whilst I agree about telling parents as soon as possible I will as soon as I'm clear of 12 weeks guess if they don't want there kids to be around a baby then I guess they aren't meant to be my minders xx

When I returned to work two weeks after having my youngest my minded was my sanity saver so looking forward to it as they make you get out and about x

My partner is fully supportive of me doing my childminding but he's like me about telling no one til we hit the 12 week mark as not even our family knows xx

Porridge
05-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Congratulations! You seem to have a very reasonable take on things with regards to "if it's meant to be". Of course there are always going to be 'unforeseen circumstances' when dealing with families (yours and mindees). If it were me, I would tell the families only when i was totally ready. At that point i would explain how you managed last time and that you are committed to make it work. There are no guarantees in this business, we are all entitled to continue with our own lives. As a working parent myself, I would totally appreciate your position if you were my childminder. Best of luck to you x

SammyL
11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Congratulations!! x

I personally wouldn't tell any parent until I had hit the 12 week mark, but I wouldn't take any other children on until this point.

It also gives your parents 6 months to make other arrangements for childcare if they so wish.

x

RachaelStevens
12-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi I'm new here and I'm awaiting first ofsted visit. I'm also pregnant with 3rd now 23 weeks, I have noticed a few cm's saying they are only having 2 weeks off, this really worry's me as what happens if your c sectioned or baby is late etc. I'm thinking of having 3 months off gives time for early labour and recovery time and to get into routine