PDA

View Full Version : Hi im looking for advice

stacieepg
02-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi I'm just wondering what is the best way to advertise and get your first childminder child ?! I've set a website up and done buisness cards which I'm considering posting I'm on net-mums, I'm just thinking what else can I do I can't wait to get started :-)

Rick
02-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi I'm just wondering what is the best way to advertise and get your first childminder child ?! I've set a website up and done buisness cards which I'm considering posting I'm on net-mums, I'm just thinking what else can I do I can't wait to get started :-)

Hi

The main aim is to get noticed and get known in the local community; probably most important for me being an independent male childminder.

Number one way is to get to toddler groups as often as you can and get to know parents in your area. If you don't have children of your own (I.e. no one to go with) then there's nothing stopping you popping along and handing out cards and chatting to parents.

Advertise on local websites, mine is called Bath Mums and childcare.co.uk as well. Net mums as well. See if Facebook has a local page to advertise for free.

Get chatting on forums like this one. I posted on my local website, Bath Mums about perceptions of male childminders; it was all very positive and by the end people had gone from being wary to it being a good thing and have now got an enquiry from it. There may be a classifieds section on there for people to advertise for a childminder or you to advertise yourself. This post went so well, the editor asked me to write an article for the website about why I decided to become a childminder. This was emailed to 2300 people in Bath. How's that for advertising!

Get to local childminding groups. I have found childminders are very welcoming and willing to hand over enquiries which are no good for them. I first started going to a childminding group even though I only had my son and no mindees. You can go so long as you're registered.

As I say, the key is to get noticed. I've had lots of people see me out with my mindees and people have asked if I'm the independent male childminder (I'm the only one in the region). That was all because I took the time to write a post and then an article.

Word of mouth is important. The parents of the sisters I mind are so pleased with what I'm doing that she has recommended me to her neighbour who needs childcare

It may take some time so don't get despondent if it doesn't happen instantly

Hope this helps

stacieepg
02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
That's great advice thank you :-)

rachelmama
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
hope you get some mindees soon good luck :thumbsup:

stacieepg
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
And me lol can't wait to start x

serin
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM

I have been a childminder since June and I have found the most effective way is subscribing and applying to ads on childcare.com. It is £20 an month but if you get one job out of it then you're happy. Even if you dont subscribe you can open a profile so parents can call you.

I have added ad's in the childrens centres and libraries but got no calls from there. I have created a page on facebook which I found a parent googled my name and found my number through that because they didnt want to pay the subscription on the childcare site.

stacieepg
04-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Thank you I've subscribed so hopefully I will start soon :-)

loocyloo
04-01-2013, 08:35 AM
i have tshirts and a fleece that say childminder on the back! people have to stop me to ask for contact details, but it does get me noticed!!!

i always carry business cards in my pocket and give them to anyone & everyone i talk to, whilst telling them whati do! ( drs, dentists, library, queues in post office, coffee shops etc ) and i HATE doing it! i am really quite shy, but when i moved i needed work and so i had to get out there & do it! i found a few local coffee & farm shops that would put my card up. now i have mindees, when we are out and about, with the LOs in hi-viz, people know us and i have had prospective parents ask if i am the CM with the children in hi-viz!

generally i found it was ( and still is ) word of mouth that got me known. i went along to local toddler groups ( on my own, as my children were at school ) and chatted, helped with teas and got to know people. i also spoke to other childminders in the area and got to know the staff at my local childrens centre. i am listed on childcare.co.uk, netmums, FIS and any other free advertising sites i can, plus have a website. one of my 'new' mums laughingly said that whenever she spoke/thought about childcare - in person, on the phone, on the the internet, anywhere ... all roads led back to me!

good luck xxx

lynncjt
06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I have registered on every free web site that I could find including Yell and Google so that now if you Google 'childminder' and my town I come up on the first page. I have also set up a Facebook page as a childminder and have lots of photos of my setting and also kids playing outside, in the park, down the beach and with messy play.

I have car magnets that I got from Vistaprint and even though I would rather walk to the school I sometimes drive there early and sit for ages so my name gets seen. Recently got a call from someone who had seen my car in ASDA!

I also paid to go on Childcare.co.uk.

I am now nearly full of under 5's but would like more after school children if I could get them.

I've had the most business from Facebook, followed by Childcare.co.uk and some calls via Yell and Google searches.

I've also joined the local childminding group and had some leads from other childminders.

When I'm at the soft play I try and get chatting to some of the parents and pass on my business card.

Good luck!

Tina O
06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
I also have my childminding 'fleece' with badge/logo and I carry the same backpack of supplies with me on school runs, outings etc with logo etc on it.
And I have also popped into mums and tots, coffee mornings and any other group I could find to get my face known. I put posters up eveywhere I can in the local area too....

Good luck xx

nikkiv
10-01-2013, 05:50 PM
I have my own website, my Facebook page business cards and leaflets! The trick is not to give up and to keep pestering! Good luck :)