PDA

View Full Version : First potential client

hannah1986
31-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Hiya

I have recently registered and have my first parent coming to look around next week. I am feeling a little nervous so I am looking for any advice/ tips that you may have- what sort of things do I need to show them? Would you give them a handbook on the first meeting?

Thanks in advance
Hannah

silvermist
31-12-2012, 10:34 PM
How exciting for you! My advice would be to just be yourself, be relaxed and if they bring little ones with you I always say hello to the child first. I generally dont give out paperwork on the first visit however I do have a small brochure (trifolded A4) which I do give prospective parents. Hope that helps. Good luck with it. xx

Jenna
01-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Just be yourself and see how it goes if patents seem really keen and want your place then yeah give out your paperwork but if they've got others to see and don't show much interest leave it and see if they contact you again, otherwise you'll be forever printing off your paper work for prospective parents to just bin if there not interested

hannah1986
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Thankyou for your replies.

I am excited although a tad nervous! I will also have my own 2 children with me- I know the baby will be fine but slightly worried about my 4 yr old girl who can get a bit excited etc. I am going to try and be organised and have her involved in an activity when they come- maybe playdoh so the child (aged 2) could join in. -does this sound okay?

Hannah

bunyip
01-01-2013, 11:47 AM
The best advice has already been given: relax and be yourself, because you are your own best asset. :thumbsup:

Bear in mind that the visit is just part of a process. The aim is not just to get any client at any expense and on any terms. Both you and the parent want to end up with a sustaineable working arrangement that you are both happy with. It's very tempting to bend over backwards, especially for your first client(s). Very quick and easy, but you'll have a long time to regret it, so take care.

One thing to remember: don't get disillusioned if the visit doesn't result in a booking. I have a lot of enquiries that seem all nice and lovely, visits that go swimmingly, but only a small proportion that actually lead to any business. Sometimes these teach me to do things a little better. Sometimes I just have to realise I did all I could, but we weren't right for each other.

I have a Parents' Information Guide which acts as a pre-visit ice-breaker. It contains all my policies (boring, but it means they've had a chance to see them and pretend they've actually read them[!] before contracts are signed) and my Ofsted report, as well as an introduction about me, my setting, meals, activities, and other stuff. I aim to deliver this in person to the enquirer's home before they visit. That way, they've seen me and seem more likely to actually keep the appointment. As a male, I find parents are more likely to turn me down out of hand if they've not met me and seen that I'm a regular human being and not a deranged axe-murderer. Also I know where they live (in case they're just hunting EY numbers for a tax credits fraud.)

Ideally, the parent brings the child, and I try to spend at least as much time and attention on the lo as on the adult. I also encourage both partners to come, although sadly a lot of men seem to think that it's the woman's job to sort out the whole childcare thing. I always say the parent can come back with another friend or family member if they're unsure and want a 2nd opinion.

As a rule, I do no paperwork on the first visit, but usually send them away with various forms to fill out (if they're happy) and bring back to a future visit at which we aim to agree/sign contracts.

Hope it goes well. :)

hannah1986
01-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Thank you very much for your replies- they are really useful to me

I am going to hand the parents a welcome pack with some information in about activities etc and hope they like me etc :-)

xx

ChocolateChip
01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
I generally show people round the ground floor and garden which doesn't take long but I find it helps me to explain what sort of things we do as we go through and gives the parents a chance to see what's on offer. I have all my paperwork out in folders (portfolio all about me and my setting, certificates, policies, sample permissions and obs forms, EYFS info etc) so that the parents can browse through and ask any questions while I get down and play with lo's. I also give them a brochure to take away with them but nothing else until they want to sign up.
I prefer to sit down and go through paperwork with any new clients, takes about an hour but it's worth it to ensure everyone is clear on everything in the contract, and what the expectations are etc so will ask to do this on a separate visit (mine or theirs).

As others have said just be yourself hun, hope it goes well :thumbsup:

TAZ
01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I've got too bogged down in paperwork at the first meeting recently - never used to put it seemed to end up that way! I think I need to relax a bit more & not open the folder out unless specific questions require it. Just focus on having a chat, playing with LO and showing them round.

Having said that 2 of my current clients started in less than 1 week of the first meeting and we were ending up signing contracts on the day they actually started (& these 2 families have been great, no hassles & always pay promptly)

Zoomie
02-01-2013, 12:19 AM
I have an A4 tri-folded leaflet that I give to parents on their first visit.

I also leave on the side, my policies folder, my ofsted report and qualification certificates and a sample of a LJ and refer to these when remember.

Mostly I just chat and play with LO and 9/10 even forget to offer refreshments.

Best of luck, each visit is a learning experience.

harleyrider
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
On intial contact if I have space I ask for an email. Then I forward my parent information pack and fee policy. Then if happy I will arrange a visit, sending a reminder on day. During visit I will have file to hand with crbs, insurance and copy of reg cert(number blanked). I dont complete contracts 1st visit, but if they want to use my service I then email my P&Ps. Then on return to sign contracts they also sign to say have recieved and 'read' p&ps. So far this has worked well for me as I dont have to be too focused on the buisness side. Good luck.

Rick
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Hiya

I have recently registered and have my first parent coming to look around next week. I am feeling a little nervous so I am looking for any advice/ tips that you may have- what sort of things do I need to show them? Would you give them a handbook on the first meeting?

Thanks in advance
Hannah

I would email them my parents pack before they come round as this shows professionalism and also may answer some of their questions before they come. I would give them my website address so again they could have a look before coming.

I personally wouldn't give them anything at the meeting as they should have everything they need, unless they request something else, like a print out of my all about me and my setting or something.

Try and get some info about the child first so you could set up an activity. Interact with the child while they are there and encourage them to join in the activity. If you can show the parent that he child is already willing to join in and play with any other children then they should be put at ease about leaving their child with you.

Ask lots of questions about them and the child; sound interested!

I put up some of the children's artwork so they can see what sort of thing their child might do at my setting.

Most importantly be calm and be yourself!

catminder
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I try to keep things as relaxed and informal at the initial visit. Just basic info about me and my setting, answer any questions, show them round etc. Good luck:thumbsup: