PDA

View Full Version : kids scarves that have gloves in!

mushpea
31-12-2012, 03:58 PM
is it just me or are they dangerous!!, you know the sort, they have gloves on the end of the scarf so the kids walk round with their hands in them so when they fall over they either give themselves whip lash as they try to put their hands down quickly or they end up smashing their face on the ground cause their hands are caught in the scarf thats hanging roudn their neck!
I dont like these at all and will be telling kids that they are not to put their hands in them but to wear a normal set of gloves whilst they are with me, am I wrong in doing this? am I going to be wrong in telling parents that after a risk asessment I will not be allowing children to put hands in their gloves bit or are parents going to tell me not to be so silly and that its their choice of what their children wear. As it is i tell the kids not to put their hands in their pockets when they are walking along because if they fall they wont get their hands out in time to stop themselves and I know of one little boy who ended up in hospital with concusion because of it.
prehaps I am just an ol grump lol

hectors house
31-12-2012, 04:12 PM
None of my mindees have these (unless they all got them for Xmas) but I can see your concern - one of my ex mindees was running recently (whilst with her new unregistered childminder - but that's an old thread now), the mindee didn't have her coat on properly or done up and the shoulders of the coat worked their way down her back and arms, so when she fell over she hit the pavement with her head as couldn't save herself -resulting in a large lump and black eye - I really had to bite my tongue on Xmas eve when the family dropped round with a Xmas card, about unregistered, unqualified minders, prob doesn't even have a first aid qualification.

Going back to scarves with built in gloves I would explain the risks to parents and ask them for gloves as well.

TAZ
31-12-2012, 04:15 PM
I've not heard of scarves with gloves in...:confused:
Do you mean the gloves with string / wool between them, that get threaded down each armhole, so that the kids don't loose a glove? If so I've never had a problem with these as the string is long enough not to restrict arm movement any more than the coat would.

mushpea
31-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I've not heard of scarves with gloves in...:confused:
Do you mean the gloves with string / wool between them, that get threaded down each armhole, so that the kids don't loose a glove? If so I've never had a problem with these as the string is long enough not to restrict arm movement any more than the coat would.
no not those, these are the actutal scarf the kids put round their neck then at each end of the scarf is a glove so it would be like your hands are in the end of your scarf

PixiePetal
31-12-2012, 04:23 PM
my 18yr old has a scarf like this, fine for her but not for littlies.

I don't even like scarves on littlies :rolleyes: I quite like the neck tube things - might try and get some cheap to keep here with the spare mittens/gloves

QualityCare
31-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree with you l would not allow children to use these, l do not allow the children to walk around with their hands in their coat pockets for the same reason.

blue bear
31-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I bought loads of spare gloves when woolworths went bust, I always make mindees use mine so if they loose a glove there is no drama. Wouldn't like the idea of gloves in scarves and wouldn't let children use them either, on my time it's my call regarding risks, wgat they get upto at home is up to them

SYLVIA
31-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Not seen these scarf things but don't like the sound of them. Not that keen on scarves either as they tend to fall off and get lost or get wrapped too tight round their necks. Hope none of mine have these for xmas

TAZ
31-12-2012, 05:11 PM
no not those, these are the actutal scarf the kids put round their neck then at each end of the scarf is a glove so it would be like your hands are in the end of your scarf

Thanks for the reply mushpea
I'm obviously out of touch with the fashion world :blush:

christine e
31-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Have not actually seen any of these but when I read the title of your post all I could think about was the fact that their hands would be restricted during a fall which sounds dangerous to me. I have a little one who has a hat with a built in scarf which is ok with me but would not like a scarf with gloves

Cx

cathtee
31-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm the same, fed up of saying hands out of your pockets that's what gloves are for, and if they do come with those scarf gloves then
they will only be used as a scarf I have plenty of spare gloves,

Oh I do hope i'm not going to start the year off moaning on wednesday when they all come back:laughing:

singingcactus
31-12-2012, 07:37 PM
My son has a cookie monster hat with gloves at the end of arms. The arm bits are longer than his arms so don't present any issue, and the mitten bits are so shallow his hands would pop free anyway, and his head so big the hat would pop off as his head went downwards.
Common sense tells anyone (who has an ounce of said common sense) that mittens attached to something that one wraps around the neck is a strangulation invitation though. I imagine this item will very quickly be banned, rather like hoodies in which the drawstring was pulled around the neck rather than the hood.

LauraS
31-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't see the point of them either. If they are dangling down with the childs hands in them, then they are not wrapped round their neck keeping it snug?! I've seen loads of schoolchildren with these - they don't see to function as scarves at all? I could understand if they were long enough to wrap and use for hands but they dont appear to be.

clareelizabeth1
31-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I have one of these given to me by my sister for my birthday (it's in July but that's another story) I tripped while showing off and choked myself. Would not allow children to wear them but have found mine useful to hold tissues this winter.

silvermist
31-12-2012, 10:29 PM
My dd aged 15 has one but I dont like them on little ones, far too dangerous x

annieR09
02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi some of my 2 year old mindees have been using these just before xmas but i make them wear gloves instead of putting hands in glove bit as i think they are a danger (always telling bigger ones not to walk with hands in pockets) also when it was really cold didnt keep heads warm so we were putting hats under if they wanted to wear them !!!

catminder
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
I haven't seen these glove-scarves but they sound potentially quite dangerous.
X Alison

PixiePetal
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
typically, mindee turned up with hat/scarf/mitten combo today :rolleyes: mittens were useless to play in as scarf bit got in the way and furry panda hat was perched on his (large) head - useless piece of tat!

bunyip
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
They aren't designed to be safe or practical. Like all fashion items, they are designed to sell (cos, "ah, but Mu-u-u-u-m, everyone else has got one.")

Tip - if you're going to have a friendly word about these, be careful what you are wearing at the time. One of my fondest (and more educational) memories of school was one assembly in which the deputy head delivered a stern explanation of why we were not allowed to arrive at school on skateboards - that being the latest fad at the time. Having finished her lecture, the deputy head crossed the floor in silence, went over on her ankle in her high-heeled shoes and exited stage front to decend in an undignified heap on the hall floor. :p

Those of us still laughing when the paramedic arrived got detention. :blush: