PDA

View Full Version : slow cooker porridge and other recipes

mushpea
31-12-2012, 03:00 PM
thought I'd start a thread where we can put our slow cooker recipes and also please could somone tell me how to make porridge in the slow cooker as i love the idea of waking up to it!

I did a joint of bacon yesterday, just put the joint in , 2 apples sliced around it, one onion slice around it and half a dozen fresh sage leaves scattered, it was yum.
a favourite of the kids is sausages, baked beans, tin of tomoatoes, little bit of tomato puree, onion chopped, potatoes and about 25ml water all mixed up and left on low all day, just servew with crusty bread or our favourite is herb bread fresh from the slowcooker.

cathtee
31-12-2012, 03:03 PM
mmmmmmmmmm must go and get one after reading this and the other thread thanks:thumbsup:

sarah707
31-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I make a mince which is always popular -

Mince - I fry it off first and drain the fat even when I buy the very low fat / extra lean it still has some. I have some in the freezer I made for a little one who is veggie too - I used quorn instead of the mince or you could use lentils

Chopped onion, carrot, mushrooms, celery - try and get it to 1/3 veg

Tin of tomatoes - or 2 depending on taste

Beef stock - we use Kallo it tastes much nicer than the others

Garlic and mixed herbs to taste

If you put things like tomato puree, wine or bacon in the recipe you need to start counting syns... so we miss them out.

For the SW people it's syn free (or it used to be - if Kallo is still no syn) and very tasty for everyone even the children like it - we serve it with spaghetti, rice, mash or syn free chips.

:D

sarah707
31-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I haven't done porridge - I would worry about it drying out overnight and burning my house down :laughing:

This is a recipe I was given a while ago -

1 cup oats

2 cups milk

1 cup water.

Leave on a low setting. You can play with the water / milk ratio if you want to keep it lower fat :D

VeggieSausage
01-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I do veggie sausage and bean stew in mine for the kids - veggie sausage, baked beans, tinned toms, veggies and maybe some stock and leave to cook, all the kids I look after love it.....