PDA

View Full Version : Contract review and nursery school questions

greenfields
31-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm due contract reviews soon and was wondering if it's the norm to use a new contract form for the review? I have altered fees slightly and policies since starting minding, and although I have policies and procedures up to date, I thought it'd be worthwhile putting these into a new contract at the review date. ??

Also I look after a little girl 3 days a week who I drive to school each day and collect - she's in nursery for 2hrs 15mins a day. I don't charge for this time. A friend of mine (who does not live locally) is surprised that I don't at least charge 50% retainer for her time whilst as school because of the effort to take her there, and I wouldn't be able to fill this space with another child. Is is normal to charge for school time?

Thanks. :)

christine e
31-12-2012, 02:18 PM
If you have reviewed your fees then I would certainly write up a new contract. I charge for children who attend nursery school if I take and collect them

Cx

LauraS
31-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I would perhaps use a new contract if I were substantially altering the terms of the old one. For routine changes like fee changes and day/hour changes I wouldn't bother, I would just give notice, type up, have signed and add to the back of the old contract. I probably wouldn't review, either, unless there was a clear need for it.

As for charging whilst at nursery, I think it varies locally (and according to local competition). I don't charge, but only because the nursery child I care for is family :o. Having experienced doing three school runs a day five days a week over the past few months I would always charge in future, because a. I can't fill the 'lost' TTO hours, b. I can easily fill the space with another child if parents don't want to pay and c. it's hard work and has a real impact on our fun, having to cut short our days in order to be back for lunchtime. That said, you might have a hard time selling the idea to a parent who is used to not having to pay for the time spent in nursery and I can sympathise with the parent in that it seems unfair that the 'free' hours are often not.

A surprising amount of my time trudging up the hill to school at lunchtime is spent imagining a utopia where I have the whole middle part of the day to go on trips/join groups/etc :rolleyes:. Roll on September!!

greenfields
31-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Christine. :thumbsup:

it's hard work and has a real impact on our fun, having to cut short our days in order to be back for lunchtime....

A surprising amount of my time trudging up the hill to school at lunchtime is spent imagining a utopia where I have the whole middle part of the day to go on trips/join groups/etc :rolleyes:. Roll on September!!

Yes! I agree! It is surprising how much time it takes putting children's shoes on, putting in car, driving to school, walking to school etc with other little ones, to take and collect children to school. I don't live around the corner from the school either and there is no way we could walk it. I have to use my car. And if I didn't have the school runs I could be out on a trip somewhere with the little one

I have a contract review for this child (who attends nursery school for 2+ hrs) in June. Would it be fair to discuss changing my terms then or should I perhaps just stick to not charging whilst she's at school and learn my lesson - not to do this again? It's awkward changing what's agreed isn't it? But I have definitely been over generous (with holidays etc) but learning now. :rolleyes:

With future mindees I will charge at least a retainer. Another lesson learnt.

LauraS
31-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I think we're on the same learning curve :D

I suppose if it's nursery school, she will be attending school full time in September?? In which case I would leave it as it is, as the time between June and September is so short and the financial difference for 6hrs/week for a few weeks so small that I wouldn't bother rocking the boat for it. Particularly if, when the child goes to school you will be keeping her with you as a schoolie and want to keep relations sweet? That's just me though.