PDA

View Full Version : I want to start as a childminder - need advice please

anamaritos
30-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Hell everyone,

I am portuguese and currently living in Spain where I have already gained experience as childminder, I am a single mother of a six years old child. I am willing to move to Uk because I am truly fond of UK where I have already lived during three years. I would like to know your opinion about the prospect of starting the business as childminder including teaching spanish to the children. I plan to move to that lovely city of Norwich. Do you think is complicated with all paperwork and tax management? How much could I charge for each child aged between 5 and 8 years old? I am thinking in taking a permanent job in the mornings and work as childminder in after school hours. I thank you so much in advance for your kind advice. Regards. :)anamaritos

TAZ
30-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi Anamaritos:waving:

Norwich is a great place to live - I went to university there.

It is not complicated to start childminding, You have to do a training course which you may be able to do via the internet before even coming to England. You also have to do an approved paediatric first aid course. Once you are living in England you attend a briefing meeting in your local area where they will give you all the paperwork you need to sign up & give you info on insurance, other training...

How much you will be able to charge tends to depend on exactly where you live (can vary for different parts of the same city) , hopefully some childminders from Norwich will give you an idea what they charge there. If you go on the childcare.co.uk website & search for childminders in Norwich you will be able to see what some of them charge.

There is quite a lot of paperwork: registers, accounts, child development, accidents/medicines, policies but you can buy a lot of it to make it simpler and most childminders are happy to help out.

Being able to offer teaching Spanish is a huge plus:thumbsup:. I have a friend who childminds & she also teaches Spanish.

Hope some of that helps:)

anamaritos
30-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi Anamaritos:waving:

Norwich is a great place to live - I went to university there.

It is not complicated to start childminding, You have to do a training course which you may be able to do via the internet before even coming to England. You also have to do an approved paediatric first aid course. Once you are living in England you attend a briefing meeting in your local area where they will give you all the paperwork you need to sign up & give you info on insurance, other training...

How much you will be able to charge tends to depend on exactly where you live (can vary for different parts of the same city) , hopefully some childminders from Norwich will give you an idea what they charge there. If you go on the childcare.co.uk website & search for childminders in Norwich you will be able to see what some of them charge.

There is quite a lot of paperwork: registers, accounts, child development, accidents/medicines, policies but you can buy a lot of it to make it simpler and most childminders are happy to help out.

Being able to offer teaching Spanish is a huge plus:thumbsup:. I have a friend who childminds & she also teaches Spanish.

Hope some of that helps:)

:clapping:Thousand Thanks TAZ, your advice is a great help to me. I feel more motivated now. Regards. anamaritos

tulip0803
30-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi Anamaritos

Good advice given by TAZ.

For information about registering to be a childminder in Norwich or Norfolk you need to contact the Norfolk Family Information Service HERE (http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Childrens_services/Family_information_and_childcare/Working_in_early_years_and_childcare/NCC073263). They will be able to tell you not only how to apply but where there are shortages of childminders in the Norwich area if any.

Good luck